Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming Engine Service & Disassembly Courses

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming Engine Service & Disassembly Courses

Hi,

Has anyone attended the Lycoming Engine Service & Disassembly courses at Penn College, Williamsport??

I live in the U.K., and operate a PA-20 here. I like the idea of a two-week holiday in Williamsport, taking in the two courses and hopefully a trip around the factory.

Has anyone been on these courses??

Cheers,

Rich D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lycoming Engine Service & Disassembly Courses

Brian on this site went and had a post about it but I can not find it. Seemed like a very productive week to me. I attended the teardown seminar they did at Oshkosh and found it very informative.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the disassembly course about 20 years ago (part of new employee orientation at Lycoming). It was very good then, and I understand that they've improved the classes over the years. The current instructor is knowledgeable, practical, and great to talk with about all things aviation.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richdolby View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone attended the Lycoming Engine Service & Disassembly courses at Penn College, Williamsport??
    Hey Rich,
    A buddy and I went to both the Service and Disassembly/Assembly courses about four years ago. I would have to say that depending on your level of experience, you'll either really enjoy it, or you'll bring little away. It is taught at the A&P school by instructors of the same school. I did enjoy the factory tour as well as the trip over to Lock Haven to visit the museum. I had just read a book associated with Piper's ferry pilots, and life at Lock Haven during the heydays; so seeing some of the homes of Piper's famous people and associated haunts was pretty cool.

We also went to Continental's Service School in Mobile a couple of years later... very informative and enjoyable although there was no tear down and reassembly portion to that course.

Have fun!
    Last edited by cammons3; 11-21-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=richdolby;105387]Hi,

I attended the 4 day classroom and 3 day lab class in Nov 2014. The classroom was Mon-Thur and the lab Fri-Mon-Tue. Tuition cost for the two combined was $1425.
    That plus round trip air fare from LA via Phili, lodging for 9 days, and a rental car over the weekend, made it an expensive investment.
    I remember being on a wait list for about 6 to 9 months to get in, so keep that in mind.
    I was just starting an overhaul of a O-540 at the time on a Comanche 250 project, so the timing of the school was good for me.
    I also looked at it as a vacation, because I really enjoyed the experience and the weekend in between classes to tour Lock Haven Piper Museum and drive up to Niagara Falls, which were both on my bucket list.
    The instructor of the class James Doebler is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge, having worked for Lycoming most of his career. Not sure if he still teaches or not. He was getting up there in years.
    The enjoyment of the class will hinge to a degree on the other students in the class. As with most classes a lot of Q and A between the students and the instructor will add greatly to what you come away with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian; 11-21-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Corrections
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Some photos from classroom and lab.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, Didn't you write a day by day account? I thought I saved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    Brian, Didn't you write a day by day account? I thought I saved it.
    Yea, I looked for it and couldn't find it either.

Post Thanks / Like

At OSH this year i sat thru every seminar Lycoming had. The instructor was from the collage. Used to work for Lyc. but they moved their school to the college and he went with it. Got a lot of knowledge out of the OSH tear down, build up, maintenance seminars. Rich if you haven't been OSH would be a good state side eye opener. My RV8 buddy asked me yesterday about next year. Hell yea was my answer.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    At OSH this year i sat thru every seminar Lycoming had. The instructor was from the collage. Used to work for Lyc. but they moved their school to the college and he went with it. Got a lot of knowledge out of the OSH tear down, build up, maintenance seminars. Rich if you haven't been OSH would be a good state side eye opener. My RV8 buddy asked me yesterday about next year. Hell yea was my answer.
    I did the same thing two years ago, excellent, but like drinking from a fire hose.