Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Troubleshooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starter Motor spins slow then fast

A quick check, crank the thru 4 or 5 turns with the mag off. Then feel all the connections at the battery, solenoids and starter. If you have a bad connection it will be warm or maybe hot. That first slow turn and then speeding can be caused by a bad connection heating up and tightening the connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert!

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned the cable I had to replace was copper connected to a stock starter. This was before I owned the tools to build a cable so I bought a kit from Bogert Aviation. I am pretty sure their kits are made from cable larger than 4 gauge.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 12-20-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    One more question: Has anyone ever tried a heavier gauge battery cable on a stock starter as Steve suggested? Also, to answer: My initial starter pause has always been there, but gets worse in winter cold. Thanks for the help.
    All batteries perform worse in cold weather.

A heavier cable will reduce resistance. But, may only make a minor difference depending on the condition of the starting circuit.

First check circuit condition by using the Gilbert test, then check voltage drop and amperage draw. Or, spend lots of money...buy a starter and new heavy cables.
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-21-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

When something isn't working correctly, I find it is a good practice to go back to what you touched last. If the starter has only 50 starts on it since the brushes were changed and is now acting funny, I would check the brushes. --Ross

Post Thanks / Like

sky-tec starter, bogert cables and the PC612 lightweight battery are the way to go...

Post Thanks / Like

Inadvertent learning: Leaving the gas pumps to taxi back to hangar the other day, radios off, just to taxi right? I left my headset hanging on the left side panel light, and from memory pushed in the mixture control, check-pushed the carb heat in (it was in), hit the master to On, yelled clear out the left open vent window, put my hand on the throttle - in 1/4 inch and hit the starter button on the box under my left leg. She spun one rev when I remembered the mag switch and left it cranking with my forefinger on the starter button while I turned the key to L mag. It immediately fired and I went to "Both". Upon reflection I realized the instant I knew that I forgot the mag switch was because the prop didn't hesitate. Ok, so now tell me why I shouldn't do this all the time, except that for the last 60 years its been done differently...Thanks for your thoughtful input.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how it would improve starting by not having mag on? I would be concerned with the R mag without impulse coupling firing as you move the key through R to get to L and breaking something.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try replacing the starter relay before you go to the expense of getting an MZ2444 starter or an after market starter,
    You are correct in checling and cleaning all electrical connection to the started, Lastly having the stock starter is more economical because the
    light weight new starters have no repair manuals. if they fail you are forced to buy another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting Question

My new to me, by three weeks, Tri-Pacer 160, when warm, the starter will usually not be able to turn it over past the compression stroke it stopped on, and I'll have to bump the starter a few times to get the blade swinging enough to build inertial to get it to finally turn through and start. Engine starts always within 1-2 revolutions, cold or hot. Does not do this when cold.
    Battery is older, but shows strong. Haven't turned up anything in the logs on the starter though.
    First time plane owner. I've never seen this on the rental Cessnas I've been flying, but noticed a Cherokee needed to do the same thing the other day.

Is this common, or where do I need to start spending money, or is this even an issue to bump the starter as needed?