Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starter Troubleshooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting Question

My starter cranks fine hot or cold.

I have the light weight Skytec starter, Bogart cables, new starter solenoid and lightweight battery. The problem is that any one of these could be a problem. By pass starter switch and see how it cranks, do the same with solenoid. Clean all connections, charge battery and do a load test. Consider upgrading to light weight components. The batteries and starters crank well.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting Question

I merged your thread with another on the subject. You might go to page 1 where I linked a troubleshooting diagram from Sky-Tec.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starter Troubleshooting

Don't know about the new but the original starters can be rebuilt. Usually you can find a local source - as long as you don't tell them it came off of an airplane. Definately worth checking out the connections from the battery to the starter. Eliminate the simple/easy fixes before heading to the more difficult/expensive.
    Welcome to shortwing ownership by the way. Don't forget to post some pics.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

put on or check that you have a ground cable from your engine to the frame that makes a big difference on mine

Post Thanks / Like

I've been making cables for years and after staking I solder the ends: stake with proper tool then MAP gas and rosin core. It makes a big difference.

i noticed the first post on the combined thread from years ago mentioned a batter minder. If you need one you have a problem that should be corrected. Longer then a month of non use pull one lead off the battery if it makes you feel better. A good battery should hold a charge for a while.

propper end of flight charging habits help, that long low RPM pattern with all the lights bells and whistles going drains your battery, ditto the long taxi. Next morning your battery is dead... You get the picture, specially you Generator guys and gals.

Go all LED. Years ago I went LED on the 135 birds I took care of and battery life doubled and alternators, instead of 2-300 hours on the 206 to lasting a good 1000 and TBO on the 985 1600 hour Beavers.

Get the NL starter and never look back. Steve and Brian developed a simple mod to the cooler bracket that takes no time at all. I installed the first Skytech starter up here in AK on a Tripacer. No mod bolt on they said... anyway years of trouble free operation.

Guess I should mention I installed a Lithium/iron battery in my bird via a Car 3 logbook entry. EarthX don't recall the model number but going on three years or so and no issues. Gotta laugh at each 100H/Annual inspection, you know pull the seat, pull the cover, dry and clean, no acid spill or corrosion, hardware shiny and clean, tiny little plastic box full of muscle.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving an old thread with a comment from Rocket:
    "Get the NL starter and never look back. Steve and Brian developed a simple mod to the cooler bracket that takes no time at all."
    ----
    Is there a sketch of the oil cooler bracket mod that is/can be shared with us?
    Eventually I'll upgrade the starter, and would like to pre-fab a used bracket from the parts bin so I can just slap it on.
    Thanks,
    Glen

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"