Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ads-b gps antenna

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ads-b gps antenna

Yep, this is "out" only. It doesn't change anything for getting "in". We've been using a portable Garmin receiver and now have a stratux since we switched to Foreflight.

The installation has been very simple, and I will report on the programming and operation soon, hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what the ground plane requirement is but the GTX335 WAAS GPS antenna needed to be 24" from any other antenna according to my IA. On my airplane the rebuilder was nice enough to put all the antennas in a row across the top of the forward spar carry through. This was done with mounts welded in during the rebuild. That left us with no where except the aft portion of the root fairings near the fuselage so we ended up going to the outboard forward corner of the right fuel tank cover. I haven't hand any issues with it, passed the PAPR report and rebate requirements with no issues.

Good luck!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    Yep, this is "out" only. It doesn't change anything for getting "in". We've been using a portable Garmin receiver and now have a stratux since we switched to Foreflight.

The installation has been very simple, and I will report on the programming and operation soon, hopefully.
    Seems like the stand-alone "In" devices are broken into Apple or Android - or more specifically Foreflight, Garmin and then the rest and will only work with one of those. Unfortunately my brother is an iPad/Apple fan and I'm an Android person. Not exactly sure why the ADS-B receivers can only talk to one and not the other but I assume it's by choice and not going to change.

Nothing about the ADS-B is simple and straightforward.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Unfortunately my brother is an iPad/Apple fan and I'm an Android person. Not exactly sure why the ADS-B receivers can only talk to one and not the other but I assume it's by choice and not going to change.

Nothing about the ADS-B is simple and straightforward.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Scott, did you look at the stratux site? They list all the apps that their box works with and if any functions don't work. Garmin and Appareo/Foreflight both have a) the biggest marketing campaigns/budgets) b) don't want to work with anybody else. I'm a WingX Pro user on Apple, they have an Android version but I think it has been languishing. Either platform will work with the stratux, give it a look!

stratux.me
    www.reddit.com/r/stratux

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    Dad just finished installing the GDL-82 in our TriPacer, with the antenna on the right wing root fairing, and our comm antenna is on the left one. I'll give a report once we get a chance to fly it for a bit and test it out. We won't be flying for awhile with the looks of the forecast and the ground right now.
    Zac, how did you program the GLD 82?
    No one in the Garmin booth at SnF could answer that question; yes hard to believe.

Edit. Found the installation manual on AS&S site.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...l82install.pdf
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kicking up an old thread (i hate starting a new thread when a relevant one exists).
    I had a shop install my Garmin 345 and they put the antenna through the fuselage basically above the speaker. Dumb. So i am moving it to the wing root fairing. For those that have done this already, what type of backing plate did you use under the fairing. Does it need more attachment than simply sandwiching it using the 4 antenna screws? I was thinking flat backing plate but someone on our feild thought itd be good to form a c-channel plate due to the nature of the small area the fairing has. Ideas?
    Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I just used a flat plate with nutplates. When you tighten the screw on the back of the fairing it pulls it tight against the wing and fuse. The fairing shouldn't flex too much.
    Another thing you could do is mount it inside the empanage. Done this several times on aircraft that want to maintain an older era look. The antenna receives just fine through the fabric.20200430_182008.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Im going with the wing root idea. I have plans to hopefully do a skylight next year. As Alana (Tailwind_fan) said in another post "Ifn the creek dont rise."

Jan

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryd View Post
    Kicking up an old thread (i hate starting a new thread when a relevant one exists).
    I had a shop install my Garmin 345 and they put the antenna through the fuselage basically above the speaker. Dumb. So i am moving it to the wing root fairing. For those that have done this already, what type of backing plate did you use under the fairing. Does it need more attachment than simply sandwiching it using the 4 antenna screws? I was thinking flat backing plate but someone on our feild thought itd be good to form a c-channel plate due to the nature of the small area the fairing has. Ideas?
    Jan
    What did they attach it to? Seems like a very odd place to mount an antenna. GPS antenna I just use the hardware provided on the wing root. I make a u channel doubler and shrink the edges to fit the curve on the airfoil shape on a Com antenna.

Post Thanks / Like

The avionics shop was likely using the requirement in some of Garmin's installation manuals (GDL 82, GTN 6XX/7XX, etc.) requiring a ground plane for the GPS antenna:

Those manuals also include the following statement: "The GPS/SBAS antenna requires a minimum ground plane radius of 7.5 inches around the perimeter of the antenna."

The current Garmin GA 35 antenna installation manual has no such requirement, so Garmin seems a bit inconsistent on this.

I did a self-install on my GTX 335 and mounted the GA 35 on the wing root - it works just fine for me. YMMV.