Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ads-b gps antenna

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ads-b gps antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What did they attach it to? Seems like a very odd place to mount an antenna. GPS antenna I just use the hardware provided on the wing root. I make a u channel doubler and shrink the edges to fit the curve on the airfoil shape on a Com antenna.
    They attached it abovethe cabin light to the frame with adel clamps using a bent aluminum peice as a plate. My A&P didnt like it, as it dded pressure to the fabric wich could be seen from outside. The pic is taken sitting in the back seat looking up into the headliner zipper. The cable you see is the aileron crossover cable. You can see the (now patched) antenna holes.20200526_142605.jpg20200526_142800.jpg20200526_142853.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They obviously knew nothing about fabric airplanes. I wouldn't even think that would have a proper ground plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They obviously knew nothing about fabric airplanes. I wouldn't even think that would have a proper ground plane.
    They did use a ground strap from one of the antenna screws to the frame. Still, not ideal

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had any issues with an antenna mounted inside the fuselage, as in the fabric dope (Rand-o-fill) blocking the signal?

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Iriarte; 01-08-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The silver will block signals.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that uAvionix says that you will be able to mount the tailBeaconX inside the tail of a fabric aircraft. It will be listed in their manual as a alternate installation. It's what I'm thinking of doing to deal with the fact that it won't fit in our rudder.

-Ken

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know of an experimental fabric aircraft with steel tube structure that has a tailbeacon mounted inside the fuselage and it works fine.