Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Cowl support rod latch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowl support rod latch

After 62 years the cowl support rod latch broke on the Piper Pub! I'm sure when Piper built these planes every hardware store in the country carried those cabinet door latches, but fast forward to 2018 and you can find every cabinet door latch ever made except the one we need! Well, being stubborn and now determined to find one, it became a quest. After two days on the computer after visiting every hardware store and cabinet shop in the Maryland area I found someone that listed them. ATS, inc in Forestville, Maryland listed part number M20-2590 at $2.76 each, so the order was placed. After about a week they arrived and it looked just like the one installed on the Pub except it isn't broken. If anyone should want or have a need for them the website is www.atsinconline.com and the phone number is 1 (800) 535-5342

Hope this is helpful,

SteveCowl support latch.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cowl support rod latch

I can usually find those at a local hardware store that carries Stanley cabinet hardware. They are painted black however.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Univair 52745-000 Piper door latch kit. ($3.92). The catch part looks the same as the cowl rod latch. Cost is a little more but it is another source. Parts are plated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowl support rod latch

What’s the best place to find the little latch for the cowl support rod? The latch listed above in this thread appears to be for the door latches, mounted on the lift struts. I’m needing the little latch for the cowling support rod, which is riveted to the engine baffle on either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

These are fuse clips, probably available from Allied or Digi-Key for pennies, or from our friends at Univair for about two bucks.
    https://www.univair.com/electrical-l...002-clip-fuse/

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know where I would find the cowl support rods? I have the clips but no support rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I just made mine

Post Thanks / Like

I've not done this to our airplane yet. We just fold the door all the way backward and hope the wind doesn't catch it.

Shamelessly stolen from a post Gilbert made...sorry but I did add P/N's and current pricing from McMaster Carr....Aircraft division

Cowl Latch.pdf
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a thread on the rod itself and how others have fabricated. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...Hood-Prop-Rods