Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenpacer is For Sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frankenpacer is For Sale!

Its been a long time but many of you may remember this project of mine. Missions have changed and I have recently sold the prop and spinner, and decided to keep the engine. Therefore I have the complete airframe and I want it gone! At this price, it's essentially free.

Conceived to fill the need for a reasonably fast "flying SUV", this airplane features a flat floor from firewall to aft baggage bulkhead to accomodate a wide range of loading options, and yes, I planned on sleeping inside on flying camping trips. The structure shares its primary dimensions with a 56 PA-22-150 so will fly substantially like a Pacer. The fuselage features two full sized door openings in front with a single cargo door on the right rear. Main doors are intended to be a split type, with the lower section hinged at the front, and the upper section hinged at the top, cub style, but much larger. The search for higher cruise performance is enhanced by the use of Cessna 170 gear legs and the RV-6 cowl. Tail wheel is an Aviation Products unit on a titanium stinger spring. Complete project includes everything you see here and essentially the rest of a Tri Pacer (tanks, interior, cowl, interior, etc)

As discussed above, engine, prop and spinner are NOT available. Pictured for illustration only.

There is still some welding to be done to finish up the gear and floor mods, and there is a small upper longeron splice needed to address some rust at the wing TE, but other than that, the structure is solid and ready for blast/paint.

I'll consider parting it out for the proper financial motivation. If I'm left with the wings and tail, maybe I'll build a Breezy.

Price is just $2,500! is located in Mojave, ca. Bring your truck, give me this paltry sum and take it home.

contact me at toobuilder1@yahoo (dot) com
    or six six one 816 1849

Mike

Last edited by Frankenpacer; 05-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frankenpacer is For Sale!

Good to see you are still alive and kickin'.....the cowl appears to be RV. What model and how difficult was it to fit?

Everything going good down under - just getting older and sillier!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Curly. Cowl is RV-6/7. "Fitment" is only making a cardboard firewall at this point. There is a tough transition to the bottom of the fuselage due to the extra depth of the PA22, but nothing that cant be overcome with some creative stringer placement to get the proper lines.

I know about older and sillier... Wouldnt have it any other way!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok people, nearly 300 views and no phone calls... I got more offers to part this thing out on Barnstormers (at a higher price, even).

I'm admittedly out of the loop on the value of shortwing projects, but is $2500 bucks really too high for a complete airframe?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have drawings of how you intended to complete this? That might help people understand the existing modifications and clearer picture of how to proceed.
    Since it’s a radical departure from a Piper ShortWing project I would guess there woul be more interest on a less specialized forum. You undoubtedly have noticed this by the lack of enthusiasm here. Most people here I believe are more interested in a certified airplane rather than a scratch built and designed experimental.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its radical by any stretch. The Bushmaster conversion is a lot more invasive (structurally) than this, and those are all over the place. I understand the division between the certified and E-AB folks, but the PA-22 is one of the most heavily modified airplanes in history - not breaking any new ground with this one.

Not arguing... I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know what Gilbert is saying. I recently finished my Bushmaster mod and if I were going to sell it I would advertise it wider than the SW group. You have an amazing project and have done excellent work and your price is very low. I agree with you that your project is not as radical as a stretched Pacer. But, it is different and it will take someone with vision to complete it. I really hope you find that person. It seems to me that your plane will haul a load like a C-182 and perform just as well but, operate at a lower cost.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Wish you were closer. I like it!
    Just can't see getting it across country.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you! Seems like every project that calls my name lately is on the other side of the world. Why is every Pitts S-1 project on the east coast?

Post Thanks / Like

HA! Too true!
    Except for your reasonably priced project, in my mind, everything for sale in Calif seems woefully overpriced

One of us should get a trailer and load your project, bring it to the east coast, unload and pick up that pitts s1 you want...
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 05-25-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo