Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sensenich W80CM8 a worthy alternative to Borer 80"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sensenich W80CM8 a worthy alternative to Borer 80"?

If anyone is looking for an 80/38 sens. Wood prop let me know. It was on a 160hp supercub for 30 hrs. Little too much pitch for that airplane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I can only do field approvals in the Baltimore FSDO, but we could talk about a DER approval. I suspect that it would require some flight tests, meaning placing the aircraft in either R&D or Show Compliance for some time while a test plan would be completed, then returning it to Standard once complete. Not an inexpensive prospect.
    What’s a reasonable estimate of “not an inexpensive prospect”?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    What’s a reasonable estimate of “not an inexpensive prospect”?
    Just the airworthiness certificates would be about $2k depending on the DAR you use. FAA may require a DER flight test engineer to conduct flight testing, figure at least another grand for that. It really depends on what the FAA will require, and you don’t know that until you start the process.

If they don’t require any flight testing, to prepare an installation report would likely only be a couple hours. So overall, it could be as little as $200, to as much as $5 or $10k for a one time Approval. For an STC for multiple installations, it could go over $100k. There is nothing cheap in this business!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a call into my advisor now to see what would be needed. The engine/ prop combination is already approved via STC (on the PA-1. Just need to see if there would be more vibration testing required to approve on the PA-20/22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I’ve got a call into my advisor now to see what would be needed. The engine/ prop combination is already approved via STC (on the PA-1. Just need to see if there would be more vibration testing required to approve on the PA-20/22.

Great! I'll pass on any info I receive from the Airframes Alaska guys. I expect to hear back from them in the next couple of days. Like you say, the DM is already STC'd on the PA-18/O-320 and the CM is STC'd on the O-360 PA-18 and PA-22/20. Just need the DM on the PA-22/20/O-320.

Travis

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to see if this works out. There are some PA-22’s in alaska running the Catto props but none are field approves or stc’d from what I have heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoformudv View Post
    I am curious to see if this works out. There are some PA-22’s in alaska running the Catto props but none are field approves or stc’d from what I have heard.
    There are bandits everywhere! As of last I heard, Cato isn’t certified. With the exception of CAR4 and Aero Bulletin 7a airplanes under 1000 lbs, anything with a Standard airworthiness certificate needs to have a TCd prop installed using “approved data”.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is the prop bushings. The longer ones required for the wood prop can only be I stalled with the crank removed.
    I found this out when I tried to swap bushing to try a Pawnee prop. Couldn't get the wood prop bushings past the nose cone. 20190303_121513.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Just got word from Airframes Alaska that they are unaware of anyone that has received a field approval to run the DM version on a O-320 Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a customer that has drafted a 337 that we are going to submit soon... will let everyone know if it gets the stamp...

Brian