Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pacer struts or Supercub on extended wings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer struts or Supercub on extended wings?

Hello,
    I just got a stretched tripacer fuselage and am in the planning stages for the designed build. Below is a design for the wing and my question is this. I've seen the pacer struts used on extended wings but I've also seen super cub struts with the jury struts. Which is better and why? I'm wondering if I should move the strut attach points out. Thoughts?

Slide1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer struts or Supercub on extended wings?

It looks to me that you are using stock wings and adding wing tips. 13' 3" wing gives you a 29' 6" wing span plus maybe 2 more feet for wing tips, that's 31' 6" total wing span. This is fine with stock Pacer struts. I had about 32' wing span with stock struts. Check out the Blanton wing, I think they go to a 33' wing span and use stock Pacer struts. How much is the fuselage lengthened by? You can get you plane to land slower with more wing and have very little effect to the cruise speed.

Do reinforce the rear spar for the extra load of moving the aileron outboard.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you move the strut attach fittings out you will have to change the angle of the strut attach fitting on the fuselage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I have thought about adding more wing, I've also thought about going to the Ribblett airfoil D&E has. With more wing would it be an advantage to go with the super cub struts?

Steve, How do most folks change the strut attach angle? Heat and bend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post

Steve, How do most folks change the strut attach angle? Heat and bend?
    Opposite of page 20 in this document. Maybe cut the edges, bend and reweld.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

steve, I downloaded the pdf but my adobe says I need to have a password to access????????
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Password is: oldwill

Post Thanks / Like

I changed the angle of my strut attachment points at the fuselage when I did the bushmaster conversion last year. It was an interesting job. This is how I did it. Strip fuselage fabric back. Install the wings and rig them properly, this requires stands holding the outer wing. Run a wire from the wing strut attachment point to the fuselage strut attachment. This gives you the proper angle. Heat the fuselage attachment fitting carefully using a rosebud. I used a very large adjustable end wrench and slowly bend the bracket to match the angle of the wire. Yes, the plans provided the proper angle but, I did not trust my ability to duplicate this angle on a short bracket.

Longer struts are not an advantage (and, may lower your load capacity) unless you are going to Cub length wings, which on a Pacer is 37 or 38 feet wing span. Wings loads are greater the closer you get to the fuselage. I have a 38 foot wing span on my stretched Pacer and I have special made struts very close to Cub length.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-01-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."