Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing root rubber fuel liens

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing root rubber fuel liens

I'm having a hard time keeping the new rubber fuel lines between the wing and fuselage from kinking. I got them installed without kinks a few weeks ago. When I checked them today they had kink sin them again. I used the PARKER SUPER-FLEX 397 fuel hose from ACS. Anyone got any secret sauce for this problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wing root rubber fuel liens

I have not had that issue and have been using that same hose in recent years. You might try Mil6000, it is stiffer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised you haven't seen the issue. The hose has to make a sharp bend as it leaves the tank fitting in order to reach the aluminum line coming up the door post. I thought about making the bend using aluminum tube and just have short straight pieces of fuel hose at each end. But the old hose didn't have kinks so it seems like I should be able to make this work.

The Mil6000 says "not recommended for fuel"
    Last edited by Marc Davis; 06-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had to finagil it around before. Have used Mil 6000 for years and years with no issues inspire of what Spruce posts. I am sure that was generated by a lawyer. Pretty sure that is what Piper used.

Post Thanks / Like

Mil Spec

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-S...TL-6000D_6090/

Note it is listed as a fuel hose... I have no idea why ACS says it is not for fuel use... I use it all the time...

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,
    lot of good reasons to use only 6000 hose in this location.
    Important to start with fresh material via cure date.
    Warm with a heat gun until hose is nice and toasty and it bends/installs with ease... although there is nothing easy about doing this with the wing on. I preload the hose on the wing side and clamp so all I have to deal with is sliding the hose onto the fuse tubing. Use care to not bend the Al tubing.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I'll order some up today. I'll bet the "Not recomended..." has to do with the California emissions requirements.

Post Thanks / Like

AirSpruce calls it MIL-DTL 6000D is designed to handle the effects of oil, alcohol, coolant, and water. The tube is oil resistant with a black cover reinforced with high strength mildew resistant yarns. It withstands extreme temperature conditions from -40F to +250F. Meets or exceeds U.S. military specs. Lightweight, flexible and easy-to-handle, making it the perfect hose for hard-to-get-to spots in tight engine compartments.

Sold in one foot increments.
    MIL-DTL-6000C was superceded by this MIL-DTL-6000D
    Note: This hose is not recommended for use as fuel lines.

Univair calls it MIL-H-6000 can withstand both high and low temperatures (from -40 to 250F). It meets or exceeds tough U.S. military specifications in handling the punishing effects of fuel, oil, alcohol, coolant, and water. MIL-H-6000 features an oil resistant tube and is reinforced with a high strength mildew resistant yarn. The seamless compounded inner tube with reinforcement and a protective outer coating prevents tears, sprays and leaks.
    Last edited by SMO22; 06-27-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Marc,
    lot of good reasons to use only 6000 hose in this location.
    Important to start with fresh material via cure date.
    Warm with a heat gun until hose is nice and toasty and it bends/installs with ease...

Rocket
    I use a little DC#4 on the tubes and fittings and the hose just slides right on...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same kink problem with mine. In the end, I replaced the very long blue anodized tank outlet nipples, that have only one hose barb on the end, with some shorter brass nipples that have three barbs. The brass tank nipples were only about one half of an inch shorter but that made all the difference in eliminating the kink in the rubber fuel line. That shorter brass nipple also made pushing the rubber lines onto the nipples easier because there is just a little more room to work in. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture of those brass fuel tank nipples but you might be able to find them in the plumbing supples area of your hardware store (mine came from my personal stock - I have habit of saving odd hardware stuff like that, especially if it’s new). The fuel tank finger screens are brass so I don’t expect any dissimilar metal issues and three hose barbs instead of just the one on the blue anodized aluminum nipples seems a better idea. Now I have four almost like new blue anodized fuel tank nipples in my “might need that someday” personal stock location (an old plastic oil drain pan under work bench��). Go figure!