Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I'm curious about your McCauley 7459 prop. My Sensenich is stamped 74MDM6-0-58, but the measurements at the 75% station line indicates approximately 60", from memory. Do I take it your McCauley measures 59" at this point? Also, does anyone know offhand what propellers are legal for installation on PA-22's? Where is this documented?
    Type Certificate has the legal props along with engines and other equipment. Posted here.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ate-Data-Sheet

Post Thanks / Like

The TCDS list the basic prop model and diameter limits along with min and max static RPM. It doesn’t list the pitch for the Sensenich metal props. On the PA-22-150 and -160, the Standard prop was either 60 or 61” pitch. A 1” Chang in pitch will change static RPM about 80 RPM. If you go to the Sensenich web site, they have an application guide that tells their recommended pitches for cruise, climb, and an intermediate pitch. When I had my -160, a 60” pitch prop was installed and it was a good overall prop. Since I used the airplane towing banners, I had it repitched down to 53” (total repurchase for the life of a prop is 7”). Great for climb, not so good for cruise. As I recall, I was stretching the top end for static with the 53” pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah, the PA-22-150 TCDS doesn’t list an Approved McCauley prop. Is your McCauley on there by STC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Oh, yeah, the PA-22-150 TCDS doesn’t list an Approved McCauley prop. Is your McCauley on there by STC?
    Yep. STC SA1-22
    although, I had some catch up work to do on the paperwork side. a little over a year ago, I think the discussion came up on this site regarding the TCDS and 'approved' props, and so like many other things I've learned on this site and about my airplane, I checked my install. I knew it was a McCauley... but was on there when I bought the airplane. Well... I could find no record of a 337 or logbook entry regarding the install. Found the STC listed on the FAA site of course, but no approved for my airplane. So, I then contacted McCauley and requested an approval letter for my airplane and the field service guy I spoke with was very helpful and generated an approval letter... and so I was able to clean that up. A few more ounces on the paperwork side complete

Bryan