Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

The Pacer we used for our 0-360 A1P constant speed prop STC cruises at 140-145 at 2400 RPM and 24 inches of manifold pressure... burns about 9 GPH at that setting... has wheel pants and all the fairings.. Plane booster tips and VGs also...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Tri Pacer w/ stewart tips does 123 mph indicated at 9GPH on an 0-320 w/ 56" prop. Can time the fuel running out to within 5 seconds in the right tank....very consistent at that speed. RPMs vary a bit depending on my altitude, but if I aim for that speed between 1500-5500 ft I'll burn 9 - getting higher I can start to burn just a tad less fuel with a little extra true airspeed too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allycat View Post
    With MD74 on new overhauled O-320 A2B, 3 adults and full fuel on board @ 2300 RPM and 2,800 MSL just south of Orlando Internation at 08:30 hrs lcl indicated 118 MPH. GNS 430 had GS of 108 knots.
    0 wind.. well almost 0, .5mph headwind If your indicated is correct.
    Last edited by SMO22; 08-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it’s been a while since someone added to this thread but here goes…

A couple of Data Points from RaggedyAnn’s (3012Z) last flight prior to rebuild.
    Here’s the stats on the airplane:

1959 PA-22-150
    Stock Everything – no wheel pants
    2X 4” Venturis Mounted LHS
    Slight aileron rigging discrepancy, when in level flight hands off both ailerons are displaced ¼ to 3/8 lower than the trailing edge.
    Washout is within a 1/10th degree from specs (I set it at the most recent strut punch test)
    Interconnect Installed (potential uneven spring pressure may be causing either ailerons or rudder or slightly both to be not fully centered in S&L hands off flight)
    All vents and windows closed

Here’s the stats on the low alt test running 100LL:
    80 degrees, 1500 feet indicated, altimeter 30.05, density alt 2,976, RPM 2525 (75% using the 2450 +25/k rule), 116mph indicated, 121 true, 9gph (manual number for 75%)

Here’s the stats on the high alt test running 100LL:
    48 degrees, 10,000 indicated, altimeter 30.05, density alt 11,430, WOT yielded roughly 2625rpm approximately 65%power, 103mph indicated, 123 mph true, 7.8gph (real world gas pump calc)

Previous Experience:
    On two different previous days 7000’ (density altitude) WOT throttle runs yield 2700rpm cruise 123mph GPS 4 way runs that work out to within 1mph of the airspeed indicator plus true airspeed corrections. One of these runs was on 87oct auto fuel, one on 100LL.

Maybe it will be a good reference in a few years when I get her put back together and the RaggedyAnn moniker is no longer appropriate, but hopefully it will help someone else out along the way too.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...this all written in very small font that is very very hard to read. Just bought a rebuilt sensenich prop...new log book...basically it got a new paint job.. as some know I’m installing a stock set of 12 rib wings...so no short field stuff like I anticipated using Trimmers wing STC that hasn’t happened yet...those wing sit unloved for now....the prop is....here’s the really hard to read part....74” 62 pitch. Now if the O-320 actually puts out 197 hp... should be a good cruise prop...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Indicated Airspeed is not very useful comparing one airplane to another. I once adjusted my pitot and gained 5 mph cruise. You can somewhat verify AS by comparing it to GPS ground speeds if you make the comparison in a variety of directions and average. I use AS for approaches, take off and climbs. I look at GS during cruise.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Okay...this all written in very small font that is very very hard to read. Just bought a rebuilt sensenich prop...new log book...basically it got a new paint job.. as some know I’m installing a stock set of 12 rib wings...so no short field stuff like I anticipated using Trimmers wing STC that hasn’t happened yet...those wing sit unloved for now....the prop is....here’s the really hard to read part....74” 62 pitch. Now if the O-320 actually puts out 197 hp... should be a good cruise prop...

197 hp what did I miss?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    197 hp what did I miss?
    I duplicated Lycons O-320 build. It dyno’d at 197 hp.

Lycon cylinder porting, 8.5-1 compression, non-integral cam with 2 degrees of advance that Lycoming made for a couple years and a leading edge exhaust system...

Post Thanks / Like

My cruise results were very close to Raggedy Ann's numbers when I had the 150 HP engine on the PA-22/20 conversion
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please give details of the engine with 197 hp on the dyno. Who's dyno was it run on and was that figure gained with the dyno exhaust or the LEEs exhaust?