Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wagabond build

I am just starting to build a wagabond. I keep reading about extending the fuselage and widening the fuselage. Does anyone have details on this. Where do you widen it. Where is the length added.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

Check out my log here that I posted on building a Bushmaster. The pictures answer some of your questions. Also, I have all the drawings on a CD. It is a bit complex but, though. It will turn your plane into a side by side SC. What ever you do post pictures here of your project as you go along. You add an extra bay to the fuselage just aft of the baggage area. Of course starting from scratch you can buy full length longerons and skip the splices. This will be a cool project.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Just flew our 1948 PA-15/17 Vagabond last evening. Not sure why you would want to lengthen or widen. I am 5'10" and 230, wife 5'6" 130 and we fit fine. Can fit more weight than it can legally carry. I have A65, but think C85 would be perfect engine for airplane. Range would suffer without wing tanks. Good luck on project....Vag is great airplane as designed!

Post Thanks / Like

The Vagabond I had was a C85, two twelve gallon wing tanks.
    If I was building from scratch I would build with two doors, wing tanks, C85, light electrical system, and a 1320 gross weight.
    Excellent flying airplane, keep it light as possible.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueshortwing View Post
    Just flew our 1948 PA-15/17 Vagabond last evening. Not sure why you would want to lengthen or widen. I am 5'10" and 230, wife 5'6" 130 and we fit fine. Can fit more weight than it can legally carry. I have A65, but think C85 would be perfect engine for airplane. Range would suffer without wing tanks. Good luck on project....Vag is great airplane as designed!
    One would change the lengths for the same reason Piper did. The Vag is a great airplane just as the SC series are. They do different things. Longer wings mean 10 mph or more reduction in approach and landing speeds, longer glide, 3 mph reduction in cruise and about 90 pounds increase in weight. There is no change in the cockpit. Build the plane you want for your mission. Either choice is a winner.

Any design you choose keep it light as possible, less weight = greater acceleration = shorter take-off + climb. Dave is correct.

I had an 85 hp in my J3, it was an excellent performer. If I were doing it again and experimental, I might try a hopped up 0-200.
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I will post pics and look for advise as I start this project. I just got back from oshkosh and picked up a tail and aileron kit from wag aero on the way home. I am putting a O-235 on the wagabond build. In november of 2016 I completed a sport trainer(cub). I really enjoy the building process. The sport trainer has a C-85 with electric, balanced tailed, and super cub sliding window on left side.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful looking project. We look forward to seeing your new project develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Dad sprayed with two champs back in the mid 60s one had a c90 one had a o235 the 90 would way out perform the o235. Maybe the o235 was a dog maybe the airplane was heavier. I do know the continental is lighter. I put a hopped up 0-200 on my cub and like it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

You can check out my build under the experimental section. Mine is a Wag a Bond fuselage stretched to the length of a Pacer with and widened at the dash and shoulder area by I believe almost 5 inches. It has clipper controls mated to extended pacer wings. I have PA-18 gear on mine. I wish we could have met up at Oshkosh!!! My stretch is mainly in the tail and I can take detailed pics and measurements for you. I cannot take credit for my awesome fuselage as I obtained it from another member on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will check out that build log. If you have time I would like to see the photos and measurements you have. I will take all the info I can get. Do you have the elevator trim tab or the horizontal stab trim jack screw