Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

Merry Christmas to all. Before the holiday I got the wing flipped and heat smoothed all the tapes on the top side. Then I sprayed the 2 coats of poly brush on about a day apart. I sprayed the first cross coat of poly spray, let it dry for a day, and then sprayed the 2nd cross coat on the top side of the wing. I let this dry for 2 days and then wet sanded with 400 grit and scotch brite pads, and finally sprayed the 3rd cross coat of silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, I guess you're carrying the wing in and out of a spray booth each coat ? or doing it right there maybe. Fine work either way...
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

I do all the work right there in the shop. It is a 2 and 1/2 detached garage behind my house. I have a filtered exhaust fan at the rear wall and a filtered box with a fan in the center for filtering the air and a screen for the man door. Using a HVLP gun and spraying at about 16 to 20 PSI the over spray is not that bad. Yes I do get build up on everything over time but dust and other stuff from grinding, wood working, and everything else too. About every year I clean the entire shop and power wash the floor. Its a good excuse to go through everything and toss out junk and organize. I finished the bottom with poly spray, wet sanded and sprayed the last coat of silver. Waited a few days and sprayed 3 coats of Daytona white on the bottom. I let this dry for a few days and flipped it over and sprayed the top 3 coats of Daytona White. Gave this about a week to dry and then taped off the leading edge for poly tone true blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work as usual!! I have just ordered all the fabric and supplies, but they were out of stock of the Poly Spray. The recommended amount at Spencer is 10 gallons of Poly Spray, which seems like way too much. How much Poly spray did you end up using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should be flying this spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, 10 gallons is way to much for this size aircraft. I used about a gallon and half per wing. About gallon for the 2 ailerons and rudder. Still got horizontal stabs, elevators, and fuselage to go. Approximately 2 gallons per wing for poly brush, you use more of this by putting down finishing tapes and brushing it on. I used about a gallon per wing of poly tone.

Post Thanks / Like

There was finally good weather to move the wing out of the shop and to my hangar, it was either to wet, to salty, or to snowy. Plus I had to let the back yard dry up to get to my trailer. I painted the last of the interior panels above the doors. Next I made up and welded together the two aileron stops. I cut out window openings in the inspection panels at the aileron cable connections near the wing roots. Also I made up the two steel straps for the tie down rings. This was all cleaned up and epoxy primed, along with the lift struts.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a update, I've been getting some home spring projects knocked out. I did get enamel Daytona white sprayed on the lift structs, aileron stops, wheel covers, and a few other inspection panels.