Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

I finally finished trimming and fitting the last of the interior panels and tightened up all the fuel line connections and clamps up to the fuel valve. I still need some fittings to finish up the drains under the pilot seat. I made both heal plates that will go over the carpet. I made up a battery box and brake reservoir bracket out of aluminum. Got the beacon flasher box and ELT bracket install under the pilot seat and drilled the holes in the floor for the wiring to pass through. Next was setting the instrument panel in place and installing the mix, throttle, primer, carb heat, cabin heat control cables, and the key switch to hold the instrument panel in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the switches and circuit breakers on the panel. I painted the battery box and mount for ELT antenna, once dried I installed them on the fuselage. Next I mounted the grounding block behind the panel and clamped all the control cables out of the way of the control column and clamped them to the firewall. I made 3 angle braces to keep the right distance between the firewall and the instrument panel. I started by wiring the key switch and the starter and battery masters, all ends of wires were labeled and then I put clear heat shrink over the labels. Then I started at one switch and ran power and then to what it was controlling along with grounds as needed. I also mounted the bracket for encoder and shunt. Finished wiring all main switches and power to everything. Next I will start on radio and intercom, encoder, ADSB, and transponder wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, you do beautiful work. I always enjoy looking at your pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, when I first started building airplanes I would search constantly for building logs and photos to figure out certain things and new ideas, so I figured I would post mine for people to use. I continued with wiring by wiring up the headset and mic jacks. I also wired up molex connectors for the dome lights, map lights and the beacon strobe box. Both PTT on control yokes were also wired up. I made and installed the oil pressure line and primer lines from the instrument panel to the firewall. I started wiring the intercom to radio connections.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the radio and intercom wiring harness finished up, secured all the wiring behind the instrument panel and under the fuselage. I also made the wiring harness for the transponder, ADSB, and encoder. Then I made the antenna cables for these and secured everything. I ran the pitot, static tubing, and secured those in place. I made up supports for the transponder tray and installed that to the instrument panel. I started running the brake lines from the reservoir that I had on the firewall and decided I didn't like the way it looked, so I got another reservoir and attached one to each master brake cylinder and installed the brakes with lines to the gear. I finished the fuel drains and the line from the selector to the firewall. I ran the cabin heat control cable on the firewall and clamped it in place. I put the boot cowl and top instrument cover back on to make sure nothing was rubbing and to transport the fuselage to the hangar so I can put the tail and wings on to run all the control cables and to get everything aligned.

Post Thanks / Like

The rest of the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I moved the fuselage out of my home shop and trailered it to the hangar. I put the horizontal stabs, rudder, and elevators on so I can finish up the control cables. I cut out some aluminum wheel covers and started painting the interior panels. I welded the threaded end in the push pull tube for the elevator, from the bell crank to the control column.

Post Thanks / Like

So at the hangar I trimmed down the rudder stops and got the rudders set for 16 degrees left and right. Installed the push tube, aligned it with the elevator bell crank and control column. I finished the rear elevator cables to length. I made sure I had the 12 degrees down and 24 up travel. Next I made the spring cables for the elevator and got these installed. At the home shop I sand blasted the carb air box and some extra brake parts I had. The carb air box flapper, bushings, and control levers were all wiped out. I made new bushings, inner tube, end cap, and control lever with ratchet bracket. I welded all this to the air box, making sure to clean off all the old brazing. This was primed and painted. I formed a map pocket to rivet to the lower interior panel below and in front of the seats.

Post Thanks / Like

The last of the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

At the hangar I attached the trim indicator cable to the jackscrew stabilizer, installed the gascolator to the firewall. I then made the primer line and fuel line from the gascolator to the firewall and installed these. I turned down some bushings for the tailwheel head and pressed one in. I mounted new tubes and tires on the main wheels and tailwheel, I had previously installed new bearings and races in the rims. I also riveted the mad compartment on the lower interior panel that goes under the front of the seats. Hope everyone has a good Christmas and a happy new year.