Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wagabond build

I have always built wings up on two level saw horses with a removable washout block that I install after the wing is trammeled square. Learned the hard way about trying to trammel with the washout black installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have always built wings up on two level saw horses with a removable washout block that I install after the wing is trammeled square. Learned the hard way about trying to trammel with the washout black installed.
    I also built the Starduster and Carbon Cub wings on saw horses.

My 1969 shop was a little airy

CC wings

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise. I built my sport trainer wings vertically, which was easier for some things but made getting to some other parts, drilling, riveting, and such very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the top deck U channel, got it cleaned and epoxy primed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Man I'm glad I found this build thread before I start mine. I'm a fabricator and always love seeing a detailed, quality example before I start any project. Very nice work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advise on the wings and the compliments, I do appreciate it. I cut out and drilled the tabs for the boot cowl and the fuel valve bracket. I got these welded on the left and right side. I also cut out and welded tabs to the bottom rear for the cover plate to gain access to the jack screw. I then tacked in the left and right D window frames, cut and tacked in the support brackets and U channel. Once everything was tacked and straight I finished welded all these. I cleaned everything up and epoxy primed all the welded areas.

Post Thanks / Like

So my next update here might start a conversation. I cut out patterns and tabs for the interior panels. I am using 032 alum for the floors and 016 to 020 alum for the side panels. I personally do not like fabric on the interior, as much as I love fabric covered airplanes. I welded on the tabs to hold the aluminum interior. I cut out, formed, and welded the shoulder harness brackets to the top cross member. I then trimmed and welded in the rear baggage compartment supports, these I welded in, in reverse so I could use them to screw the interior panels onto. I also cut out and welded on the data plate holder on the rear lower fuselage. And finally welded in the last top U channel above the shoulder harness brackets and epoxy primed everything. I know the aluminum will weight a little more than the fabric on the interior, I do like the fact that I can remove it and get to something behind it if I have too. I did that with the sport trainer I built and had to get to some wires and a fuel line that was behind the panels and it was easier to unscrew a panel than cut fabric and patch. I will attach some photos of the sport trainer interior on next post.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of the interior build on my Sport Trainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Legend started using removable fabric panels held in with velcro to save weight over the aluminum interior panels. Looking great.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the fabric cemented too? Plastic or other material

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org