Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

I got the wing attach fittings bolted on the front and rear spars and then trimmed the last of the end ribs setting them in their proper locations. Then the compression tube ends were bolted on the front and rear spars. Then I cut steel tube to fit in between and installed the drag wires. I test fitted the fuel tank to make sure the rib spacing was good. I leveled the spars on the saw horses, trammeled and squared up the wing. I cut and formed the ends of the drag tube that goes through the fuel take and installed that. Finally I tack welded the compression tubes to the compression tube ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting, built like a wood spar J3 with extruded aluminum spars.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is the way the wag aero wing kits are. The aluminum shims under fittings and compression tubes mimic the width of wood spars. The only real difference is the width of the spars, the front aluminum spar is about 1/2 less tall than wood and about 3/8 difference on rear spar. This wing kit is almost identical to the wings I built for the J3 sport trainer, just one less bay of drag wires.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the drag wires and compression tubes from the wing, then finish welded the compression tube ends to the tubes. I cleaned up the fuel tank, tank straps, and other wing parts and then epoxy primed them. After that I installed the compression tubes, drag tube and drag wires back onto the wing. I checked the level of spars and saw horse again and with the help of my wife we trammeled the wing square. I locked in the jam nuts on the drag wires. Cut out a 1-3/8 block from wood to put under last full rib at rear spar. I got the front side of the ribs riveted to the front side of the front spar and the rear side of the ribs riveted to the rear side of the rear spar.

Post Thanks / Like

I finished up attaching all the full ribs to the spars. Then all the nose ribs were riveted in place. I test fit the fuel tank a few times to get the tank straps bent properly and then bolted them onto the front and rear spars. Next I cut and installed wiring for land/taxi and nav lights. The two first leading edge skins were notched out for the ribs and I strapped them in place, marking were all the screws will go on the nose ribs.