Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

Yes I painted hardware. Cleaned in MEK, Walnut shells in parts tumbler with a couple scoops of metal polish, and another mek soaking. After all cleaning is done I inspected all hardware with 10 magnifying glass. I ended up throwing some out that didn’t look good either threads or pits. It took along time inspecting. And make my eyes a little crazy by the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I figured the paint would scratch off when tools were used on it. I know Lycoming assembles their engines and then steams cleans them and then paints. The paint always comes off in spots. I paint the pieces individually and have the hardware plated. Looks good and seems to last.

Post Thanks / Like

True somepaint will come off. Especially off the heads when torqued. I follow up with cleaning and touch up paint. But if you use a cad plated bolt the cad wears off the same as paint. The reason I believe lycoming paint comes off is because they paint over cad plated bolts and cases. Paint does not stick very well to cad. Unless you scuff it up. But then you take the cad off the bolt or case. I think it is all acceptable. It’s just personal preference. I do appreciate all the input I’ve been getting from everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Latest update is I got a set of seats and control column and elevator bell crank. I got the fabric and foam off the seats. The fabric cement is very hard to remove. I am blowing threw the MEK. I got the bell crank and some other smaller hardware cleaned and primed. I also completed the second horizontal stabilizer. The second one welled up a lot faster because the jig was just left in place from the first one. I am going to start the wing flaps shortly after I get the seats and control column cleaned up. I am using the wag aero ailerons for the wagabond. I was thinking about using the shorter ailerons from the colt wings and maybe adding flaps. I started reading all the great posts on SWPC and it seems the choice is more personal preference. The cost in weight and money doesn't seem to justify the 3-5 MPH in stall speed reduction. So I am trying to keep it light and on the cheap with no flaps then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by todd2391 View Post
    True somepaint will come off. Especially off the heads when torqued. I follow up with cleaning and touch up paint. But if you use a cad plated bolt the cad wears off the same as paint. The reason I believe lycoming paint comes off is because they paint over cad plated bolts and cases. Paint does not stick very well to cad. Unless you scuff it up. But then you take the cad off the bolt or case. I think it is all acceptable. It’s just personal preference. I do appreciate all the input I’ve been getting from everyone
    Thats why all my engine hardware is just fingered tightened.... can’t scuff my nice paint!
    Last edited by SClow303; 10-09-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Control wheels in a Wagabond? Why not sticks like the plans?

Post Thanks / Like

I am building a colt fuse, which is a little longer and set up for stabilizer jack screw instead of trim tab. I like control yokes in side by side, its a little easier to get into. I also like the control sticks when it is tandem seating, just personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-CAS View Post
    Control wheels in a Wagabond? Why not sticks like the plans?
    Wouldn't sticks be lighter?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they would, but only by a few pounds and the cost is probably the same for either way. Its more personal preference, I just never cared for sticks when flying in side by side seating, it just didnt feel comfortable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Your plane. Your choice. Good for you.

I loved my J3 and it's sticks. I now have sticks in my Pacer and love it. But, I see your point. In my chase I have a left door and my sticks are shorter than the Clipper's, which make easy access for me. If you were climbing over both sticks it might be a bigger challenge. Although, there are some old fart's flying Clippers successfully.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."