Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagabond build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond build

I got the rest of the bottom diagonals cut and tacked in. I then did the top diagonal tubes, next I set the tail post in, which was slow going, grinding and fitting and measuring. I used a laser level and a digital level. I then set station 1 (Firewall) in the same way, which took twice as long. I then fit all the tubes from the firewall to station 2 (instrument panel). I ran one weld bead on all joints while it was on table jig. I then removed it from table and set it in a rotisserie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

This month I completed welding all the cluster joints and the only thing I have to finish weld is the tail post. It was a lot of welding and some spots are tight to get into. Next I will epoxy prime the fuselage and then start making and adding all the tabs and brackets.

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned all the steel tube and then rolled 2 coats of epoxy primer on. Next I will start making brackets and welding all those onto the fuselage.

Post Thanks / Like

Progress has been a little slow with the weather, holidays, and other things to get done. I did manage to cut and weld in the tail wheel attach bracket with bushing, and tail wire bracket. I formed and welded in two handles on the bottom rear fuselage. I then cut and fit the left and right tubes for the outside seat supports and the U channel for just behind the control tee mount. I assembled the control tee with all new bearings also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a conduit bender that forms perfect pull handles just like Piper's. Always fun making some of those parts we take for granted.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it seams like I make a lot of wood jigs. I have a pipe bender also but it is sometimes easier to do the smaller stuff on a wood former.

Post Thanks / Like

I got back into the project this week after taking December off to complete my condition inspection on the sport trainer and for holiday stuff. I welded in the small angle tubes on left and right side of fuselage for the seat supports, the tube from the square tailwheel leaf spring attach to the tail post. I made the brackets to attach the control column to the bottom of the fuselage and welded those in. I made the center bracket for the rudder bar and welded this in with the two outside rudder bar supports. I got the control column in temporarily and installed the yoke tubes so I could weld in the yoke supports on the instrument panel cross tube. The yoke tubes I have are off a cessna. Can anyone tell me how long the yoke tubes are on colt, tri pacer, from end to end, total length. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can anyone tell me how long the yoke tubes are on colt, tri pacer, from end to end, total length.
    Depends on the year, later models had the panel further forward and they are shorter. I will measure ours today when I get to the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I appreciate that

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

I got the center angle tube cut and welded in for the seat centers done and finished welding in the guide tubes for the control yokes. I also made the plate and square tube for the control column guide and got that welded in. I cut out and drilled brackets for the aileron pulleys at the bottom fuselage. I then cut out plates for the master switch and cabin heat for the instrument panel tube, hopefully I will get them welded in this coming week. I made a pulley cable guard for the bottom of the control column, which I got painted and will install next.