Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    efrench,

Can you share that documentation with me for your mini X ?

I'm looking at the mini-GA as well. Did you hook the mini X into your pitot static?

Thanks
    Mike
    Hello Mike, It would be my pleasure. Private Message your email and I’ll forward the docs. I did connect to the pitot and static. I retained the CAR3 requirements: Airspeed, Altimeter and compass. Likewise, I installed the remote magnetometer which is awesome for determining wind speed and vectors.
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siouxpilot77 View Post
    I don't have a vacuum system in my Pacer, so I've been looking at electric alternatives for an AI and DG to do basic IFR flight. To me, for my 30K airplane, the Garmin G5, Dynon D10/D100 and Aspen are just all too expensive and depending on how you slice it, should really be hooked into a WAAS receiver. Plus, I really have no interest in doing LPV approaches to mins in a single engine airplane. I do enough of that stuff at work.

While at Airventure, I came across Aerovonics. It's promising technology, that seems cost effective and a lot more reliable then our current vacuum system instruments.

STC and Experimental versions are targeted at $1595. Seems they aren't trying to gouge the certified crowd.

You can setup 2 units. 1 as an AI and 1 as a DG.

What I found awesome was, For the DG it's non slaved. They are doing this so it's a drop in replacement for existing equipment. No having to add extra antenna's or hook into a GPS. Just drop it in and hook it up to your electrical bus. No major panel mods which I thought was pretty cool.

You do have the option to via an RS-232 for the DG unit to act as a repeater for GPS data. If you have an older KLN or Garmin unit it should be compatible and act as a display for your Nav data.

If you think this could even possibly be something in your future, PLEASE send them a quick email through their web site asking them to add the PA-20 and PA-22's to the AML for the STC. I'm trying to get as many people possible to email them, so we are included. IMO I think it's great tech and hopefully makes it through the certification process.

https://aerovonics.com/av-30

Attachment 13887Attachment 13888

Seems like an all inclusive package that Dynon and MGL cant touch at this price point....

- Vern

Post Thanks / Like

FYI for all those following the Aerovonics products. Looks like they were bought by uAvionix: https://uavionix.com/uavionix-acquir...JIoSxxKnuFfXm8

Appears to be a positive thing for the products at this point... if you believe the press release.
    Last edited by kchansen; 10-08-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    FYI for all those following the Aerovonics products. Looks like they were bought by uAvionix: https://uavionix.com/uavionix-acquir...JIoSxxKnuFfXm8

Appears to be a positive thing for the products at this point...
    Wonder what’s going to happen to prices now...

- Vern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bvmbandit View Post
    Wonder what’s going to happen to prices now...

- Vern
    It went up.. And still no certified av30. I went to osh this year to get a good look and my hands on both the av20 and av30.They had no booth. The only ones I saw where at he the stratus booth. They had no idea of how they worked but where really nice and let me push the buttons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It will be interesting to see how high the price goes up. Goes far enough, you might as well look at the G5. I've been considering the AV-30 because of the drop in ability and price point. Sure would like to have two in the airplane. One for the AI and one for my DG. I've got an older Apollo 55GX in panel right now. It has one RS232 output that would work well with this system. Unfortunately Jeppesen will stop updates for the unit in Dec of 2020. Will be looking for a new/refurbished panel mount GPS system then....

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same put one or two av30 (my direction gyro and artificial horizon both are needing work)replace the clock with the av20 but still have a classic looking panel with the round gauges. Then I can remove the vacuum pump.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to google youtube videos on it, avweb or someone did i flying review and it never did get the airsped working correctly, was way off, maybe it was install error maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/hhRrNQsBl2w
    This is the video you are talking about. He says "it is off and you can tell by looking out the window". He never clarifies what the wind speed was or if he was going down wind wich would look like you are going faster than indicated. Or if it was just a pitot tube issue, did he have the static hooked up? Have the door shut with no static?. I'd like to see a follow up or a description of what they found. It could have been a setting,instalation or a failure of the device itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea if this will work for you but I bought one for my Vagabond.
    They are lightweight and work very well but not certified:
    https://www.kanardia.eu/product/horis/

They are made in Slovenia (Europe)
    TonyN