Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

uAvionix AV-30 finally STC'd. Looks like they covered our airplanes quite well.

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/...0-C+is+Here%21
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Aerovonics AV-30 AI and DG. Promising tech!

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    uAvionix AV-30 finally STC'd. Looks like they covered our airplanes quite well.

https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/...0-C+is+Here%21
    Biggest issue with the AV-30 is that the CDI for the GPS is VFR only (for now). You still need additional course indicators if you are going for IFR capability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Needs a Glide Slope indication for sure, all this money and still not solve the problem completely!
    Last edited by at7615; 09-02-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, they even got my Fleet included.
    I have two ordered, I was hoping they would get it in the first time

Post Thanks / Like

True. I plan to get one just to have something better than my Vacuum powered Attitude.
    When we planned the restoration, my daughter wanted to keep the attitude and gyro compass.
    I was thinking of not having an attitude indicator but the gyro compass is much better than a whiskey compass.
    GNX 300 was installed for VFR nav only. I think the AV-30 has more to offer than he old vacuum poward one we have had for 30 years.
    It has been in the shop at least two times in that period. Certainly should be much more reliable.

In my backyard to go anywhere, we need to get above 8000 and if there is wx that would require IFR you would have to be higher due to MEAs and
    then you would likely be in pretty turbulent skies or icing or both depending on time of year.

If we still lived back in the midwest, the plan would have been much like most are shooting for something new and truly IFR capable.

I would hope if they are planning on working an autopilot interface in the unit they would get the CDI certified for IFR.

If nothing else I like the price for the capability.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m still planning on dual AV-30s in the Clipper. From past experience, I’ve had to many times where I needed to ask for a special, so I really want IFR capability. I’m hoping that they will have true HSI capability by the time I finish up my restoration. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Big differences in dollars, like to see a utub video shootout that shows each ones cans and cants

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching closely and was excited when I saw the approval. I think I'm going to get the bundle with the beacon-X and just hope it's approved soon. I'll just put it inside the tail. I talked to them a bit on the phone and he said that the beacon-X will allow alternative mounting so you can mount it in the tail of fabric planes and just turn the light off during set-up. In AI mode it has the DG readout and probless angle of attack.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was amazed how this group started out with a pretty large list of ships in their AML for the STC.
    While they were a little behind their original timelime for delivery, they have certainly done better than
    some of the big companies pushing their avionics. With the progress they have made with the technology
    I have to believe cert for IFR will come along with the autopilot integration in a future model relatively quickly.