Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: CHT/EGT gauge

Buena Vista, CO (primary) and Hallettsville, Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Default CHT/EGT gauge

My panel is totally stock ('55 Tripacer 150) as far as I can tell... on the lower right is a 3 1/8" dual EGT/CHT GAUGE with no calibration (degrees or whatever); just 3-4 vertical lines. The glass is also crazed making the gauge unreadable for the most part. Any suggestions for a simple, inexpensive replacement of this very basic analog gauge? I assume the probes are okay but who knows (?). Just looking for a simple fix here without taking a hatchet to my nice original panel. Sorry, no picture available since the plane is not close by. Anyone else have this strange gauge and a suggestion on how to get readouts for EGT CHT analog?? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CHT/EGT gauge

https://alcorinc.com/index.php/produ...meter-3-1-8in/ Alcor has made the CHT and EGT gauges used on Pipers and Cessnas for years. They use the "J" and "K" style probes. One probe is good for 350-500 F (CHT) and the other probe is good for 750-1300 F (EGT). Alcor gauges are not normally graduated in temp ranges but use a moveable needle to set "peak" temperature based on your application. Alcor's website has a learning center with a lot of theory of operation that might help you to understand the markings on their instruments.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 08-16-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to spend someone else's money here, BUT...We installed a full engine monitor in our PA30 last spring, prior to which, we had nothing but the factory gauges in it for one cylinder temps only, and nothing in the Tripacer for EGT or CHT. I have to say, the engine monitor has been so handy in both diagnosing engine issues as well as peace of mind and fuel management. I really regret that we didn't put something more in the Tripacer during the rebuild. Even just a 4-cylinder CHT would be a big help, but the EGT is nice too. EGT helps to diagnose ignition issues it seems, among other reasons.

I probably didn't even answer your question.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed an engine monitor and have a egt/cht gauge and probes that you could have for cheap if that would help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as Zac stated above, I am not trying to spend your money. However, a quality EGT/CHT monitor is a valuable tool for operation and diagnosis. I would recommend at least looking at the Electronics International (EI) unit. They are easy to install, and you can choose between single and 4 probe units.

Buena Vista, CO (primary) and Hallettsville, Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you give me some details? BTW I was just in CYYJ (Vic) last week for my Anniversary. Went to UBC long ago!