Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lycoming 0320 intermittent power loss

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming 0320 intermittent power loss

Interesting, that makes sense. I wondered how the tabs ended up loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't believe the tabs loosen the gasket shrinks. Seen it more on Super Cubs with the round air filter which has a long rod on the airbox making quite an arm sticking out. Someoine comes out and complains about rough running at idle and excessive fuel usage and you walk out and grab that air filter dome and it moves you found your problem. Had a friend who' had it happen twice, the threads in the bowl were worn. Ended up Helicoiling all the bolt holes. No problem since and he flies close to 400 hours a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently experienced the same issues, did you ever figure out the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

on the cessna I learned on--- it had some kind of intermittent problem with the key switch. It never gave me a problem but one of the other students had to land in a farm field with the instructor. They had to truck it out. The instructor was the owner who kept poo-poo-ing the pilot reports for several months.

Another cessna 172 had the paper element in the bracket air filter get wet and it sucked it into the venturi area.
    It would run ok till near max power and there it would miss bad. (way rich I guess--) I think that was an AD that they had not done ( different frame having a screen in the rear to prevent the paper element from going in---)

You could heat soak one of the mags with a heat gun and then do a ground run-----

Any chance there could be something in the fuel tank covering up the output hole ??? Bore scope time ?

have you tried a hot compression check just for fun concerning the hot/cold cylinder ?
    Last edited by tim bandy; 02-20-2021 at 03:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a couple of months, has there been any progress?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T. Bix View Post
    It's been a couple of months, has there been any progress?
    If I recall the problem ended up being a bad spark plug that was overlooked. Small crack in porcelain. Plane was groundlooped and destroyed so I forgot about that problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Classic57 View Post
    I have recently experienced the same issues, did you ever figure out the problem?
    I am having same problem now with a tri pacer, quit on takeoff twice, has there been any resolution?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike murphy View Post
    I am having same problem now with a tri pacer, quit on takeoff twice, has there been any resolution?
    It was a crack in the porcelain on one of the spark plugs, if I recall correctly. Plane has since been groundlooped and totalled by a student

Post Thanks / Like

Stick a camera up the exhaust pipe. Make sure the muffler is not coming apart internally and blocking the exhaust outlet???
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ