Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bottom Cowl Scoop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom Cowl Scoop

I am making a new bottom cowl for my 22/20 project. Can't find drawing 11496 on the drawing CD for the cabin heat air inlet scoop. Can someone tell me the inlet dimensions? Width is determined by the rivet holes on the inside elbow fitting. Just need the height of the opening.

Is there enough air flow without the scoop (just the round hole in the cowl)? I don't want to add unnecessary frontal drag.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bottom Cowl Scoop

When I fabricated my bottom cowling I left it off. The inlet air now enters the bottom part of the left front baffle. The old cowling had patches and cracks around the existing inlet.

Last edited by wyandot jim; 09-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want one I have mine sitting on the shelf, we had to remove it for the Sutton exhaust. The scoop and the elbow, I can take a picture of it next time I’m at the hangar. Thread creep ahead. I’d recommend going with a Sutton if you can get the Field Approval, much nicer than the stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was going to say the same thing Jim. I have several I have removed when installing the Sutton exhaust which puts a pickup on the front right baffle.
    20180218_181952.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    When I fabricated my bottom cowling I left it off. The inlet air now enters the bottom part of the left front baffle. The old cowling had patches and cracks around the existing inlet.

I like the clean look of the bottom cowl. Does it heat well in winter? 20 - 30 F is good flying weather in the north east.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I was going to say the same thing Jim. I have several I have removed when installing the Sutton exhaust which puts a pickup on the front right baffle.
    Thanks. See above post (I made one). Was my 1/2" guess in the opening height close?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    If you really want one I have mine sitting on the shelf, we had to remove it for the Sutton exhaust. The scoop and the elbow, I can take a picture of it next time I’m at the hangar. Thread creep ahead. I’d recommend going with a Sutton if you can get the Field Approval, much nicer than the stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Thanks for the offer, but I already made one. Sutton exhaust is on my wish list but I have a fairly new muffler and pipes to reinstall. Current priority is getting back into the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, Short Wings are 1/2" tall, Super Cubs are 1". Inside the front bafflenis pressurized so needs no scoop but I think the bottom of the cowl does. Yours looks like what we removed from my Dad's Clipper when installing the Sutton.
    IMG_20180908_080746.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app