Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eliminating the Pacer's humpback look

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Eliminating the Pacer's humpback look

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I don't see how changing the height of a "non-structural" fuselage stringer and inch or so, "appreciably affects flight characteristics". I can believe some IA's interpreting differently.
    It is the installer that has the responsibility to make the minor/major determination. Likewise it it the next IA that has to sign that the Aircraft is Airworthy (1. Meets type design or properly altered state. 2. Is in condition for safe flight). As an IA, if the outer mold line is changed without a supporting 337, I would not sign an Airworthy annual. Just my opinion, but backed by about 50 years experience. You would be surprised what aerodynamic effects small changes can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get me wrong, if I were doing a Pacer, I’d do a lot of Younkin’s mods, including eliminating the hump. I’d just have paper to cover them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a rule of thumb on how far the side and bottom fuselage stringers should be from the fuselage tubing? I just got my aluminum stringer extrusion from Univair yesterday and I would like to start installing it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

How about what is shown on the fuselage assembly drawing, since that is part of the “Type Design”

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot seem to find dimensions on the drawings disc I have. Is there a drawing reference # that shows what the dimensions should be?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If the stand offs are still on, use them as your guide. On the bottom, I'll check but, if I remember correctly they attach directly to the frame. Or, find a plane you can look at. The drawings are a challenge to decipher sometimes.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is the fuselage tubing drawing with general dimensions and there is a fitting drawing which shows dimensions on things welded to the frame.