Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailplane covering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tailplane covering

I am mid way through covering an set of horizontal stab, elevators and rudder as a taster project for recovering the Clipper in the next few years. As expected there were to be learning points:
    I have now come to the rib lacing part - however, before covering I did not measure the width of any of the ribs so that I may use the correct reinforcement tape. I can kinda' see the width through the covering but not accurate enough to choose between 1/4" and 3/8" tape.

Can anyone recommend the tape width to use for the ribs on the stab, elevators and rudder please?

Also - where the hinge post of the rudder extends vertically past the bottom edge of the rudder balance up to the apex of the structure - would one rib lace this part to the fabric?

I am using Polyfiber and enjoying the process!

Regards

Dean

N5240H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tailplane covering

Use 3/8" reinforcing tapes. Rib stitching not called for on the vertical rudder tubing in the counter balance area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is how Piper stitched the stabilizers, rudder and elevators.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you.

From the Piper blueprints I can see the part numbers for the individual ribs for example the rudder on sheet 40622X. However I cannot see a sheet that specifies the tube dimensions relating to this part number i.e. 40562-7 is the longest rudder rib but there appears to be no decode in the documents. Is this what others have found also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure what you are asking? Tube sizes for the control surfaces?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Not sure what you are asking? Tube sizes for the control surfaces?
    I think he wants to know what width of reinforcing tape to use before stitching.

Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

Use a small pin to puncture the fabric where you will place a rib stitch. You will be able to feel where the metal is an is not.
    All gets covered up afterwards by the penny (or dollar??) patch afterwards.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Al answered it, 3/8".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    I am mid way through covering an set of horizontal stab, elevators and rudder as a taster project for recovering the Clipper in the next few years. As expected there were to be learning points:
    I have now come to the rib lacing part - however, before covering I did not measure the width of any of the ribs so that I may use the correct reinforcement tape. I can kinda' see the width through the covering but not accurate enough to choose between 1/4" and 3/8" tape.

Can anyone recommend the tape width to use for the ribs on the stab, elevators and rudder please?

Also - where the hinge post of the rudder extends vertically past the bottom edge of the rudder balance up to the apex of the structure - would one rib lace this part to the fabric?

I am using Polyfiber and enjoying the process!

Regards

Dean

N5240H
    Dean, I have a PA-22/20 but here is my elevator. I mimicked the stab spacing on the elevators, may or may not have been necessary, Piper only used four stitches on the entire elevator! You can add more, just don't do less than the drawings (approved data?) or AC 43.13. Yes, I only had 3/8" reinforcement and it did pucker a tiny bit but I was able to work it down so it wasn't noticeable. Also, follow your specific system's directions for prep before stitching, mine was Stewarts.

Good luck!

IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much. I went with 3/8th although some of the ribs felt narrower and the very bottom rib on the rudder felt wider. I guess I should measure them before recovering next time.

Thanks though.

Dean