Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modernizing the Pacer?

sent PM with a question?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve owned my Tri-Pacer for 13 years now. I’ve been slowly upgrading it along the way with new headliner, new seat upholstery, overhauled engine with more HP( it’s a PA-22-160 that had 150 hp for 56 years) alternator conversion(B&C) new oil cooler(AERO Classics) overhauled and re-pitched prop(61 to 58 inches)Micro Aerodynamics VG’s, spin on oil filter, Status transponder ADS-B in and out and LED lights. The expense of all that is much more than the airplane is “worth” on the market but it’s become one hell of a good airplane. I’ve put 161 hours on it since the world shut down, that includes four trip from Northern VA to Florida with a fifth planned soon. I have a need to travel from VA to CT and FL semi often and have been looking for an airplane that has more speed, range and IFR capability and I’ve pretty much decided on a Cessna 210. The Tri-Pacer isn’t worth what a new prop for a 210 costs so I won’t be selling it, just adding to the fleet. If I run into financial hardships the 210 will go but I’ll still keep the Piper, it can’t be replaced for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint booth is open after a year of waiting. Tried to match the original colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about putting the Stratus ESG in my colt. I know Gilbert has one and a few others. How do you like them and were they easy to install?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t have a Stratus ESG. I went with the Garmin GDL82 and my old KT76A. I was told that was a bad decision because my KT76 was old. If it fails no problem. So many people pulled them I was told recently if mine fails I could obtain one for free. A friend on here sent me his free when he installed the ESG several years ago. It would have been nice but I wasn’t up for a total re-wiring job and more money. The money I saved put an overdrive gear splitter in my 31 Ford pickup.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-25-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Gilbert I thought I saw that on another thread.

Anybody with the Stratus ESG? My old Transponder is dead and not economical to repair. I am looking at the Stratus because they have a deal going where you can get the ESG, a Stratus 3i, and antenna with wiring harness for 3K. It would give me out and in for ADS-B.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody with the Stratus ESG? My old Transponder is dead and not economical to repair. I am looking at the Stratus because they have a deal going where you can get the ESG, a Stratus 3i, and antenna with wiring harness for 3K. It would give me out and in for ADS-B.[/QUOTE]
    I installed a Stratus ESG, and antenna during my 22/20 conversion and rebuild. My avionics shop made the harness. I needed to add an ACK encoder since the old Narco transponder used an incompatible analog altitude encoder. Installation was relatively easy since the tray was the same height as the Narco. Antenna is mounted to the RH wing root fairing. A year later I added the Stratus 3i kit. Needed to crimp some d sub pins to connect the 3i plug to the transponder plug. It would have been easier to put the 3i in with the transponder, but not a big problem. The system works as expected. It connects to my iPad on start up via wifi. I use FlyQ to display position, traffic and get weather. It works with Foreflight and others too. Haven't got the AHARS to remember level flight attitude with a taildragger, but that may be a FlyQ issue. Fortunately I haven't needed to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Stratus Xponder for ADS-B out and use the Stratus receiver with my IPad for ADS-B in. I like the set up and it has performed flawless. Just few IFR yesterday from Burlington, NC to Winchester, VA on our trip home from the Florida Keys.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

current panel design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I have a Stratus Xponder for ADS-B out and use the Stratus receiver with my IPad for ADS-B in. I like the set up and it has performed flawless. Just few IFR yesterday from Burlington, NC to Winchester, VA on our trip home from the Florida Keys.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    I just picked up a Garmin GX330ES transponder on the used market. That will satisfy the ADSb “out” requirement. Going to find a Stratus 3(?), to get the ADSb “in” on Foreflight. Eventually will pull the trigger on dual G-5’s to replace my fidgety gyros!