Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modernizing the Pacer?

Thanks to all three of you! As this is my first Tri-Pacer, I'm learning more all the time. It is currently with the A&P for Annual inspection, and I'll ask him to check this.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d put the flight instruments in front of the left seat and engine instruments in the center or right side. It would be awkward flying instruments with them in the center like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Simplify use Garmin G5 or Dynon D10.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I’d put the flight instruments in front of the left seat and engine instruments in the center or right side. It would be awkward flying instruments with them in the center like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the panel considerations based on your input.

Early Pacers did not have fuel quantity gauges or a vacuum pump pad on the engine accessory case. As I now see it this is a great opportunity for adding electronics like G5 (as recommended in other response) with Gaurdian Ipad mini mount. Adding these would require the instrument panel thickness to be increased to 0.040" to comply with the G5 install STC.

Having the I pad mini on "Bluetooth" would allow ADSB in from Garmin GDL or other brands of "portables" to display safety of flight info as well as synthetic vision back up. Yes, the "backup" would be in the middle, away from the pilots center of vision, but I envisioned it as redundancy or loss of power, in other words, loss of aircraft electrical power and running solely on the Ipad and GDL batteires. You could also add engine motoring box under the Gaurdian NORSEE approval to show fuel quantity and fuel flow without STC or any other approval means which do not exist for the 1950 PA20. Just add digital fuel senders and EI FL90 fuel flow transducer that report the EM box. Both units could be mounted inside of the small glovebox on the right hand side of the panel or on the back of the Ipad mini mount.

The panel overlay would allow "Nulites" to be installed between the unlighted instruments like the airspeed, altimeter, tach, ROC. Using a solid state Microdim dimmer under a 337 feild approval would allow the backlight instruments like the EI fuel computer, G5 to be synchronized with one knob. The over the shoulder map light could also be retained, updated to LED which would also allow it to be tied into the dimmer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-19-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! What did you use to design that panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kchansen View Post
    Very nice! What did you use to design that panel?
    I used an old piper ad for the size and scale. Then using Microsoft Paint I cut and paste onto the color filled panel background. To make sure that everything would fit I made a panel template from 3/4" plywood. When I decide on a layout I can then form the .040" 3003 around the template and finish the edges like Piper did with a PEXTO crimp and roller. Also I dropped the slope on both sides that is centered on the panel. To fit the modern instruments I increased the 8.25" height at the center to 8.5" and made it flat to just at the edge where it rounds down gently to the glovebox doors. Gives more room for the instruments and a straight bend is easier to form than the complex curve on the pacer.

The other choices are the original panels with Uavonix AV 30 and a USB port in place of the cigarette lighter for portables. All of the designs use the Trig TY91 and would fit their Xpndr as well. The Trig radio box can fit almost anywhere its about the size of a full wallet or about the size of the Garmin GMU11 used for magnetic heading on the G5. Both will easily fit in the glovebox/avionics compartments that I made.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-20-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have installed quite a few TY91s, finally installed one in my Super Cub. The built in intercom is great, I wired it so I can turn off the voice activation and use push to talks when the door is open. You can also monitor a standby frequency. Used it on our Sunday morning meet up when flying with 4 other airplanes and talking on fingers I could monitor the airport frequency until it was time to switch over. I wired the RS232 in on the TY91 from my Garmin 496 to input radio frequencies from the airport page but it is not working. The other RS232 feeds my fuel flow and will tell me how much fuel I will have when I land. Have to figure the frequency thing out, be nice when approach an airport in rough air trying to tune the radio. Customer service is awesome with the Trig as well, Mid Continent is the service center. 2 year warranty and it starts over if you have to send it in.
    20200109_163910.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-21-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The guardian system also works with the TY91 232 input and displays the selected com on the IPad display

Post Thanks / Like

Added Garmin GN GPS/Comm to latest panel design.

Made a die to form the instrument panel cover cutouts. Lets more light into the instrument, easier to see than the old panel cover

Glovebox frames that I made earlier that are 6.25" wide to fit radios and avionics. Depth of both are to clear fuel line.

Post Thanks / Like

Added Av30 and tail beacon x. Also surefly ignition.