Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Pacer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modernizing the Pacer?

I am pulling the trigger on replacing my last gyro instrument right now. My IA was the last gyro and it is starting to make noise. I also have a none working intercom right now and my audio panel is 20+ years old. So, I will:

A) have the vacuum system pulled out
    B) replace the vacuum driven IA with a GARMIN G5 (as a IFR backup to my ASPEN PFD)
    C) pull the old King audio panel and replace with a GARMIN GMA 245 audio panel
    D) replace all the headset plugs (four place) with stereo plugs for better music playback and GoPro/iPhone in-flight recording
    E) pull the old intercom out since the GMA 245 has a four place intercom build in

Here is a picture of my current panel. I'll post a picture after the work is done.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of modernizing, one day I hope to put variable timing ignition on my 0320 a2b. My a/c was a caribbean model so I don’t have a manifild guage which is required for the STC.

Does anyone have a nice used suitable gauge for sale, or able to direct me to a good source? The new tso’d or pma’d are pretty dear!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Manifold! I no how to spel somtimz I just kant seee!

Post Thanks / Like

As I promised in my last post, here is the newest panel with the GARMIN G5 and the new audio panel.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    Speaking of modernizing, one day I hope to put variable timing ignition on my 0320 a2b. My a/c was a caribbean model so I don’t have a manifild guage which is required for the STC.

Does anyone have a nice used suitable gauge for sale, or able to direct me to a good source? The new tso’d or pma’d are pretty dear!

John
    You don’t need a Manifold gauge for electronic ignition you just need to tap into the plumbing. Lycomings have a 1/4 28 NPT plug near the intake valve. Tap into that for the vacuum advance function. As these systems are limited authority you will have to get a CHT gauge to run in the full advance function.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 03-07-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    You don’t need a Manifold gauge for electronic ignition you just need to tap into the plumbing. Lycomings have a 1/4 28 NPT plug near the intake valve. Tap into that for the vacuum advance function. As these systems are limited authority you will have to get a CHT gauge to run in the full advance function.
    Thanks! You are absolutely right. Brain malfunction on my part. Any one have or know a good source for used EGT?

Post Thanks / Like

As you advance the timing you increase the time the burning mixture is in the cylinder. This increased time equates to higher CHT. Most electronic ignition systems advance up to 40 to 38 degrees BTDC based on manifold pressure input. Since the computer only cares about RPM and MAP you have to monitor CHT. Nothing is said about what you do when it’s out of control.

Normally when you retard timing, which by the way no electronic system does, the late timing cause the still burning mixture to be seen in the exhaust as high EGT.

I used the single alcor gauge with an adapter to select each cylinder. Way cheaper than a GEM https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=11560

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    As I promised in my last post, here is the newest panel with the GARMIN G5 and the new audio panel.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Looks really nice Juergen. What do you think of the G5 now, as compared to the Aspen. Do you have a subscription fee to maintain with the Garmin? Did your installer have to program it, and do you have to have recurring software updates reprogrammed with it? Thanks in advance.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    As you advance the timing you increase the time the burning mixture is in the cylinder. This increased time equates to higher CHT. Most electronic ignition systems advance up to 40 to 38 degrees BTDC based on manifold pressure input. Since the computer only cares about RPM and MAP you have to monitor CHT. Nothing is said about what you do when it’s out of control.

Normally when you retard timing, which by the way no electronic system does, the late timing cause the still burning mixture to be seen in the exhaust as high EGT.

I used the single alcor gauge with an adapter to select each cylinder. Way cheaper than a GEM https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=11560
    Most helpful! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think the SureFly requires any other engine instrumentation but would have to read the STC again. Also not sure if all of our airplanes have been added to the AML (Approved Model List) yet.