Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning stall

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Turning stall

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Seems a Tri-Pacer, with that thick high-lift wing and the aileron/rudder interconnect springs correctly installed, should be nicely coordinated in the turn and not likely to stall as compared to your garden variety RV 4/6 etc.
    The clue you are going too slowly would be the rapidly approaching Earth and the VSI pointing down.
    That was the point of it, to make it safe and predictable and take away the nasty habits.

GG
    No question, Glen. So forgiving. I recall a turn to final to a small paved runway - Winslow AZ, I think, when I was considering a go round. I was in high and short - approaching and nearly at the numbers from an engine out sort of approach, normal to the runway. We were in strange country, cruising a bit low and the airport we were looking for sort of popped up and surprised us. I went to full flaps and cranked the trim as I put it in a skidding right turn to final with left wing down to lose altitude. It dropped right onto the approach line. My right seat passenger - a very good pilot with multiple ratings and owner of many planes slid into me during the skid and said something like, "geez". I touched down lightly a few hundred feet down the strip and coasted out to the second option to taxi. I asked him later about it and he said, "I just wasn't ready for that." I've also done just the straight ahead half-mile out and high sink at 6-800 fpm with engine idling - so not to be too fast across the numbers. Just hold it at 50 mph and it will sink. I think the ability of a SW to sink in a very controlled - even significantly cross-controlled fashion when you want is a real asset. Anyone know if a Maule M5 or M7 will do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Turning stall

Experimented with the Vag and found power off coordinated turning stalls and 1500RPM coordinated turning stalls to be gentle without wing drop. Tried full power level coordinated stalls with full aft stick, indicated airspeed below the lowest number on the ASI with very steep deck angle and the C-85 powered Vag did not feel like it stalled, did not pay attention to the altimeter for altitude loss/gain, and did not hold the Vag in this steep deck angle too long. Power off level coordinated stalls very gentle without wing drop.

I'm sure you can get wing drops with un-coordinated stalls, but found the Vag to have nice stall manners with coordinated flight.
    Last edited by rideandfly; 02-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.