Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil temps too low

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil temps too low

I have a PA-22/20 150. The oil cooler has been relocated to the rear baffle (stewart STC). It has excellent baffles. It has a remote oil filter. It has a 185 deg Vern-a-therm. I'm having a hard time getting the oil temps up. With about 50% of the cooler blocked the temps were 140 deg today OAT was 40 deg. In the middle of summer, with the full cooler open, the temps run 135 deg. I have tested the oil temp gauge and it is working fine. Does this seem reasonable? My next move is to block the whole cooler. I really want to get the oil temps to 185 deg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oil temps too low

I have my entire cooler blocked of and the oil temp was 190 degrees at 50 degrees OAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    I have a PA-22/20 150. The oil cooler has been relocated to the rear baffle (stewart STC). It has excellent baffles. It has a remote oil filter. It has a 185 deg Vern-a-therm. I'm having a hard time getting the oil temps up. With about 50% of the cooler blocked the temps were 140 deg today OAT was 40 deg. In the middle of summer, with the full cooler open, the temps run 135 deg. I have tested the oil temp gauge and it is working fine. Does this seem reasonable? My next move is to block the whole cooler. I really want to get the oil temps to 185 deg.
    I have the same setup. I have to block 100% of the cooler when the OAT hovers around 40 degrees or lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Thanks guys. Looks like I'm on the right track.

Post Thanks / Like

My oil cooler is still in the front on my PA22/20-135. I have about 2/3's of it blocked off and I get up to about 175 degree. I used aluminum speed tape to block.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things

Post Thanks / Like

Am I missing something here? If you have a 185 degree Vern-A-Therm what good is blocking the cooler? I checked mine and it open at 180 degrees and if my oit temp is running cooler than that my oil cooler is still cold, so what did I miss?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    I am also wondering, if you have a 185 deg. Vern-a-therm, then the oil cooler should not even come into effect. Only getting 135 deg. in the summer is also a concern. I'm not sure where you live, but if the temperature is above 70 deg. you should have no problem to get the oil temperature up to 180 deg.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

What temp should I be looking for in my O-320 A2B with a front oil cooler? Pa-20 150, if that matters.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand from talking to the people at Lycoming is you want to see 180 degrees. Their explaination is the oil temp in the sump is 50 degrees hotter and therefore getting the oil over the 212 degree point thus boiling off any water/ moisture in the oil. Remember the temprature is taken at the screen/ filter so it will indicate cooler than the sump temp. Piper says at 40 degrees and below to install the winterization kit (cover the cooler) and the is for the cowl mounted oil cooler.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Very good info, thanks!