Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil temps too low

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil temps too low

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I always warm up at 1100 to 1200 rpm to insure the cam is getting lots of lubrication. I also lean to the point that any more leaning it will quit, this builds heat faster. I never take-off with the oil temps less than 100. If I recall correctly there was recent Lycoming SL that basically said the same thing. I have followed this procedure for the 2300 hours I have flown the Clipper.

If I am going to fly when the OAT is less than 40 I throw a heavy blanket over the cowl and put 2, 100 watt incandescent bulbs ( illegal in California )under the oil pan. Doing this I usually start out with oil temp 70 to 75 degrees.
    I also lean aggressively at idle and run up to 1200 or so during cold idling.

I like to see 80 deg F oil temps before takeoff, otherwise my oil pressure is pretty high.

Post Thanks / Like

With temps in the mid 40's it doesn't take much more if any than 4 min for the oil temp to get in the green and in warm weather the 2 min to green is about right. So the manual matches that pretty close. To date I've had no fowling of the plugs, knock on wood. It's just a simple check for me to look at the gauge to verify temps and pressures rather than the clock for time. Should my engine falter warm or not, if for some reason I had to take off before all indication in green, I would look for something other than oil temp to be the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

When the temperature is low (I'm talking about 30's and below, I can't get the temperature into the green (which starts at 120 F) before take off. Any time the temps are below 40 I warm up the engine using a kerosene burner and some duct I made to channel warm air into the cowling while I do the pre-flight. Even when the temperatures are in the 10's, the oil gets up to about 100 F by the time I start the engine, but then cools down 10 to 20 degrees when it circulates through the engine. By the time i finish the run up I am at the top of the yellow arch (talking about OAT in the 10's and 20's), but not in the green. Even with the oil cooler blocked (behind #4 cylinder) the most I get is about 165 F at altitude (OAT single digits up to the high 20's). Any time the temperatures are in the 30's, I can get 180 F in cruise flight (oil cooler blocked). By the way, I run Phillips X/C 20/50 all year.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil temps too low

Went from about 50% blocked to 80% before my flight today and finally got the oil temp up to about 190. About 50 degrees outside, currently running 20-50 Exxon Elite.

I like about 80 degrees before run up and 100 for takeoff. I too, lean aggressively right until takeoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone gone through the approval process to install the Vans Oil Cooler Vent - louvers - to control air flow through the oil cooler? Or is that even an option?

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...ct=oil_shutter

I currently have the Type I, pressure regulator currently installed, and I am considering swapping to the vernatherm type regulator. But, from what I read, it may be in vain to raise the oil temperature with out continuing to partially block the oil cooler. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

If you install a Vernatherm you have remove the viscosity valve as it will prevent the vernatherm from sending oil to the cooler.
    I assume the type 1 pressure regulator you referred to is what is referred to as the viscosity valve. It prevents cold congealed oil blocking the cooler from blocking oil to the engine by bypassing oil from going to the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

That is/was my plan, but from reading this thread it looked like some are still having issues getting the oil temp up to 180. There are many references to still taping/blocking the oil cooler year round, which is what I am doing. That technique works, I am just looking for a more consistent oil temp.
    If I still need to tape, the vernatherm wouldn’t necessarily be a good investment.
    I know the louver idea is a little outside the box on a Pacer and one more thing to manage in the cockpit, but I think it would work great. Like cowl flaps other aircraft. If one could get it approved.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vernatherm. My oil temperatures are consistently 125 degrees above OAT. In other words the Vernatherm does not have the technology available in automotive thermostats. My 1931 Ford has more consistent temperatures.
    I cover the cooler in winter to try and get OT close to 180. In the summer I just let it do it’s thing at OAT + 125.

Post Thanks / Like

My oil temp currently runs about 100 over OAT, with seasonal blocking of the cooler. I will switch to a vernatherm, and adjust from there. And thanks for the 125 reference, you gave me. That was the number that was looking for. The effectiveness of a vernatherm.