Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sullivan vs Madras (Demmer) wing tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sullivan vs Madras (Demmer) wing tips

Svenn's STC uses Dakota Cubs wing tip. It differs slightly from the Sullivan in that the Dakota tip tapers in board toward the tail while the Sullivan mostly stays the same width. It appears that the Sullivan tip will add slightly more surface area than the Dakota tip. Both tips will add more wing surface area than the Demmer tip.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    50 to 60 hours labor... The one and only set I did clear back in 2010 took 50 hours..

Brian.
    Thanks Brian. That's fabric, dope, paint, ready to fly? Appreciate the input.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Thanks Brian. That's fabric, dope, paint, ready to fly? Appreciate the input.
    -Subsonic
    Yep, out the door...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how much the Sullivan tips weigh in carbon fiber vs fiberglass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Anyone know how much the Sullivan tips weigh in carbon fiber vs fiberglass?
    Ron Sullivan says the carbon tips are about half the weight of the fiber glass tips. I guess Ron only has one mold as I had to wait for Ron to get the mold from the fiber glass company and take it to the people who do the carbon fiber work.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Chopper, good info, thanks.

I made a change this week in my pilot system. The existing pitot location seemed to be giving me low reading that decreased exponentially as I slowed the plane. Cruise reading were 4 to 5 mph low and stall reading were worthless. I moved my pitot toward the leading edge and outboard a foot or so. I used my jury strut as my plane has a Bushmaster wing (like a PA1 which is what Piper did in the early PA18's. My cruise reading were very close to actual cruise (checking with my gps in multiple directions), my stall speed still reads low although, it is a little better at lower speeds. I would not trust any airspeed indicator reading at stall speeds. My plane has a pitch angle of 40 to 45 degrees and an unknown AOA.
    Is your new pitot install the same as a Cub? If so, I am guessing the new pitot tube is lower (or farther from the bottom surface of the wing) than original. Can you post a couple of pictures, please?