Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear passenger/cargo door question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear passenger/cargo door question

GOZU side no fabric.jpg

I have all the fabric off of the Pacer for the rebuild and I would your opinions on adding a rear door. When my father built the aircraft he never added the rear door which is something I have always wanted. Looking at the photo I have posted is it wise to cut out the triangulated tubes where the door should be located or should I forget the rear door concept all together? Any ideas/help will be as always greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rear passenger/cargo door question

I suppose someone removed the rear door when they added the left front door. I'm no engineer, but it really wouldn't seem safe (to me) to have 2 doors on the same side - never heard of a "4 door" airplane!

I see no reason you couldn't go back to the original configuration (Right front / Left rear doors)

Interesting concept that I have never thought about....how about a left front door, and a right rear one?? Seems like a lot of work.
    Last edited by Paul Watts; 01-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My father built the fuselage from scratch using 4130. I have seen quite a few picture of “3” door Pacers. I would never get rid of the pilot door. Trimmer has the seaplane door with the rear pilot side door for passengers/cargo. I would like the rear door for access for loading gear and passenger(s).

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine like a Maule ............ has 4 doors. Right front and doors on left like the Maule. I put mine on the left rather than like the Maule right. Most floatplanes seem to dock on the "port side". My fuselage is stretched which shouldn't make any difference. Fuselage has same dimensions there as the stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I stand corrected! Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

I never quite understood why Maule put the rear doors on the co-pilot side...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Aero View Post
    I did mine like a Maule ............ has 4 doors. Right front and doors on left like the Maule. I put mine on the left rather than like the Maule right. Most floatplanes seem to dock on the "port side". My fuselage is stretched which shouldn't make any difference. Fuselage has same dimensions there as the stretch.
    Wayne,

Do you think it’s safe for me to cut those tubes out? Also do you have pictures of your fuselage you could send me?

Thanks,
    Jon

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Would be safe if replaced with other structure!......... like the Maule.......... I like the style of structure your dad put in for the doors, the tube that runs thru the bottom of the door frame to the upper engine mount. I did mine a little different, more like a Bearhawk. Either will help keep engine/panel out of your face in case of severe mishap. I'll gather up a print of that truss section made up under the rear doors. That fuselage is hanging from the beam in the middle of the hangar but can get a pic of it. You will also have to do away with and/or deal with the tube that supports the top of the rear seat. Got to get structure back in it if removed or you can just make it removable for loading and pin back in position for flight. I went with the structure, no cross tube, and have a removable sling seat like a Helio/Maule going in.

Might be time to stretch it! .......... you're this far into it. I have 4 "tail sections" tacked up hanging from a beam in the hangar!
    Last edited by Southern Aero; 01-08-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I want to keep this one a short wing because my father built it this way and also I would love to get a Bushmaster or Producer “experimental” as well...would love to have two experimental Pacer derivatives in our hangar...

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    I would love to see how you performed the Maule door mod on your “Pacer Plus”....
    Jon

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org