Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun N Fun 2-7 Apr 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sun N Fun 2-7 Apr 2019

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    geez you guys have me about settled on flying to 7FL6 and driving over... Would still like to hear some good fuel stops for VA / NC / SC if anybody has such... Cheers, Donn

Meet up with Steve and I 40J and follow us in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never as bad as Oshkosh last year.

Post Thanks / Like

My strategy to go into Sun & Fun is to leave Winchester, VA at about noon on Wednesday and fly within 2 hours of LAL. I stay the night and get up early on Thursday to be at Lake Parker at about 8:00 AM. At that time the traffic going in is very light and the controllers are actually talking to you (even though the NOTAM says to just listen). Here is a YouTube clip of my 2018 arrival https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Sc_SbSO7c .
    However, at any time you need to be prepared for other pilots doing unusual things, like the guy in the Super Cub announcing being over I4 without crossing over the power plant or the tower telling me that I was on the base leg when I was approaching LAL from the North giving me about half of the Runway (Taxiway) to work with (it's still plenty long). I also didn't catch that he wanted me to actually answer him (again, this "don't talk to the controller" in the NOTAM thing).
    However, go with the flow and most of all make your own decisions about the safety of your flight.

Juergen
    Pace rN3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

SnF arrival was chaotic last year. The whole peninsula of Florida was cutoff by thunderstorms for the fist 3 days.
    When it opened up chaos reigned. There were over 25 airplanes stranded at 40J, Perry Florida waiting to get in.
    Same senario at Oshkosh only worse. I got into OSH on my sixth trip up the railroad tracks from Rippon to be turned back 5 times by the controllers at Fisk. Unless they change the AirVenture arrival procedure I won’t go back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Never as bad as Oshkosh last year.
    Yup we went in 2016, got the "white skyhawk rock your wings" over FISKE, saw two others rock with us. Nothing more for us until "white skyhawk go around" ( well I think it was us ) at about 100 ft. due Mustang behind. We landed long and turned off expeditiously. EAA is working on it though... Donn

Post Thanks / Like

Well we did make it, delayed by wx on the way down but visited the Wright Bros. historic site, and drove over from Spruce Creek with friends due a.m. showers Friday. Sampled some fine CLR BLO 120 on the way home which in the mid-Atlantic was scattered to broken 1500 to 2500...

Here's Juergen's Pacer and the Clipper on the ramp at St. Simons Island, GA...

IMG_3228.JPG
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And I found out Allycat won Contemporary Best Custom. Is a beautiful Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, it was a pleasure meeting you on Tuesday. Thanks for taking the time to talk and let me take pictures. I missed talking to you Steve, but I'll reach out to you in the future (I'm looking for a set of wheel pants for my Tri-Pacer). I also met a great couple from Virginia (Kevin) that was happy to share their airplane for pictures and talk about the nuances of owning a shortwing. It really made the trip from Pennsylvania worth it. Not only do I have a bunch of reference photos, but it's motivated me to get this project going.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s always a pleasure to visit with Short Wing folks that stop by at Sun n Fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    Well we did make it, delayed by wx on the way down but visited the Wright Bros. historic site, and drove over from Spruce Creek with friends due a.m. showers Friday. Sampled some fine CLR BLO 120 on the way home which in the mid-Atlantic was scattered to broken 1500 to 2500...

Here's Juergen's Pacer and the Clipper on the ramp at St. Simons Island, GA...

IMG_3228.JPG
    Donn, too bad we didn't meet up at Sun & Fun. I left SSI on Thursday at 6:00 AM and made it into S&F at about 8:00 AM. Here is a link to my flight SSI to LAL https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Vgvl-S1ns8eg4c

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z