Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: O-320 propeller selection?

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-320 propeller selection?

What is a good lightweight prop for the Lycoming O-320? I have been looking at Catto and the ground adjustable Whirlwind. What is the max diameter a O-320 can efficiently use and would you run a 2 or 3 blade if you had a choice? Anyone running the Whirlwind ground adjustable and if so what are your impressions so far?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 propeller selection?

Quote Originally Posted by cook11 View Post
    What is a good lightweight prop for the Lycoming O-320? I have been looking at Catto and the ground adjustable Whirlwind. What is the max diameter a O-320 can efficiently use and would you run a 2 or 3 blade if you had a choice? Anyone running the Whirlwind ground adjustable and if so what are your impressions so far?

Thanks!
    No experience with either, but I’ve been eyeing them both as well.

What I’ve read says to stay at 78 or lower on the whirlwind. 80 is doable but one guy that had one said he had really high oil temps with that one at cruise, which I’m assuming translates to more load on the engine due to the additional profile drag.

Catto’s sure says there’s not a significant difference between 2 and 3 blade props at the speeds we’re turning them and flying at. I’d believe that. I have plenty of prop clearance and will go for a 2 blade when I get to that point.

If I had the money I’d get a CS. Anyone want to pitch in? Hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 propeller selection?

I don't know of any light weight certified props for an 0-320. Catto is experimental although, I keep hearing they are working on a certified prop for SC's.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."