Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Turn back to airport in a Tripe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Turn back to airport in a Tripe?

I think that many times the desire to "save the plane" overrides the save the people.
    Often the desire to land the plane back on the airport "undamaged" colors the decision making where an off airport landing, guaranteeing damage is ruled out even though if the aircraft were under control and stuffed into a bad place the resulting crash would be survivable but the plane a write off.
    Sell the plane to the insurance company or write it off and live.
    As you fly in and out of an airport you should always consider the possibility of if something happened "here" what would i do?
    When you did that did you rule out trading the plane for your life?
    Many times I have looked at pictures like the one posted and wondered "why didn't the pilot do...."
    As Bob Hoover said you should try to fly the plane as far into the crash as you can
    Last edited by redbarron55; 03-06-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unipus View Post
    I would think the very large aquaduct there would make a really good spot, wouldn't it? Especially if heading out on a north. Sorry to hear about that pilot.
    At KEMT the prevailing breeze is almost 90% of the time favoring Runway 19, and that was the case the day of the fatality. The Rio Honda cement river that parrelles the runway to the West crosses under two avenues just South of the airport so it’s really not an option. The I-10 freeway was probably within gliding range but with LA freeway traffic not so good a choice either, although would have been better in this case than to turn back and stall nose down into the ramp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone interested in checking their airspeed indicator accuracy can do so by following the instructions found here: http://www.iflyez.com/manometer.shtml

The EAA (I think) also published a similar procedure years ago but I couldn’t find it on a quick search.

A good check on the instrument wouldn’t necessarily mean there aren’t problems causing bad readings somewhere else but at least the instrument would be a “known”.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 03-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Link doesn't work for me....

Capture.JPG
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly I haven't really thought about it in person (although next time I'm out that way I certainly will take another look!). El Monte is maybe just barely the closest airport to me and I'm considering basing there. I agree that southbound the river is not a great option -- but are there any "great options"? There's a pretty good football and baseball field just south of the 10, that's probably what I would shoot for with a bit of altitude. I do like to take a quick look at the aerial imagery of any airport I'm flying at more than once and just scan it for a minute for what's immediately around the area.

I agree with redbarron -- maybe people try to look for a "perfect" place that's going to keep the plane intact. Chances are that's a slim reality in an urban environment, unless you find boulevards or highways with low traffic. In the middle of the night the 10 is probably as good as it possibly gets. I'd think you're better off spending the limited decision time you do have getting configured to make an okay landing at a known spot that does exist than wasting time thinking you can save the airplane rather than the occupants. If you do manage to get it down without a scratch, that should be seen as a huge bonus... not the primary objective.

Granted, I don't know much -- other than that complacency breeds catastrophe.

Post Thanks / Like

Climbing out into the wind means that you will be making a down wind turn and the visual will look like you are maintaining airspeed while you are slowing down and trying to stretch the glide and slowing down in a turn, rushing the turn with the rudder.
    All bad things.
    Careful out there, now...