Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Scott 3200 wheel torque specs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scott 3200 wheel torque specs?

I am in search of the torque specs for the wheel halves as well as the axle bolt for my Scott 3200.

Hoping someone light have a service manual or the like that I can print off for my records

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Scott 3200 wheel torque specs?

Reviewing all of my documents I find nothing official from Scott on wheel half torque but did find 120 inch lbs. in the Alaskan Bushwheel Baby Bushwheel tail wheel assembly Installation Instructions.
    http://www.airframesalaska.com/v/vsp...structions.pdf
    3200 3400 TW Fork Kit II Intallation Instructions.pdf
    I found Scott specifies a minimum torque of 15 inch lbs on the castle nut for both the axle and head pivot and then continue clockwise to access the next cotter pin hole. I have never used this method but have always gone by feel. Will try it on a tail wheel I am going through today and see how my 'feel" method compares to the 15 inch lb. minimum.
    Scott Tailwheel Shimmy Check List and Notes.pdf
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-31-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled a 3200 today and tried the 15 inch lbs on the head pivot and in my opinion it was way to tight. It turned but had a lit of friction. 10 inch lbs felt good. 15 inch lbs worked fine on the axle nut.
    This is the pivot at 15 inch lbs. I am usually just able to get the cotter pin in.
    IMG_20190131_123225.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I don't now what it would mean for the 3200 but the Cessna manual for the 188 specifies tightening the steering pivot nut to reach 12-15 lbs resistance (3400 with10" tire) as measured with a fish scale at the steering cable attach point on the steering arm. The 8" tire calls for 7-10 pounds. There are 8 sub-paragraphs covering the different serial number ranges and tire sizes but some are McCauley assemblies (not that it appears to make much difference).
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-15-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So, I need to replace my tail wheel fork. Its bent. Decided to go with the AB wide fork. Im guessing that rebuilding the tail wheel assembly is not allowed under owner maintenance. Can the tail wheel be rebuild off the aircraft and adjusted properly for torque and then re-installed ?
    Trying to get this done without having to put the entire aircraft in the shop.
    Shop does the rebuild on the tail wheel, Installs tire and I put the tail wheel back on the spring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are going to install the wide fork and larger tailwheel tire? What size mains? The larger fork and tire tends to raise the tail thus less angle on the tailwheel head and more prone to shimmy. I would see replacing the tailllwheel assembly like replacing a tire/wheel etc. but have not read the definitions lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a 3200 in bits on his bench, and can tell me the dimensions of the spacer retaining the cone bearing? Mine has gone walkabout, but I know if I turn one up on the lathe, suddenly the original will reappear from where it’s hiding. I make it ID 0.5”, OD 0.625” approx, length 0.25”. The p/n is 2504-1. I can’t remember if it was steel or aluminium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I assume you are referring to the bearing in the head to fork? Will measure when I get to the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve.
    Just what I need.