Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 8.50 dessers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8.50 dessers!

That sure sounds like fun, Juergen!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Finally finished the project today. By using the brake disc spacers ABI-BSK3 and Brake anchor bolts ABI-69-02600 (30-60A) from Airframes Alaska I was able to get the clearance on the brake calipers to avoid rubbing. I now have a set of 6.00X6 tires on wheels I can use with my wheel pants to fly around the East Coast and a set of wheels with the 8.50X6 Desser 22" to fly out West and to Alaska. On the first short flight I noticed about a 4 kts. loss in true airspeed, but I need to test that more in later flights. The landings felt very nice with these tires. It almost felt like landing on a pillow (maybe I was lucky the first two times).

My first mission for the new tires will be in October to attend the High Sierra Fly-in. It's about 2,000 miles each way. I'll stop in Utah on the way out for a couple of days to fly some Canyons. Can't wait!!!

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z
    I know this is off topic , but is that a Sutton exhaust . If it is what did you have to do paperwork wise to use. I got one when I bought my engine and am anning on using it. Just didnt know which route to take to make it Kosher w the feds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it’s a Sutton exhaust. I have about 1,200 trouble free hours on it. Got it signed off on a ‘337. PM me and I’ll send you the PDF copy you can use.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The softer tires do absorb a lot of the landing, so that pillow soft touch down will be the norm with those.
    If I remember correctly, I lost about 10-15 mph off top end when I went from 8.50's to 31's. But the places you can go with those giant donuts! IMG_20190512_191632_240.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pacer53 View Post
    I know this is off topic , but is that a Sutton exhaust . If it is what did you have to do paperwork wise to use. I got one when I bought my engine and am anning on using it. Just didnt know which route to take to make it Kosher w the feds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Some copies of paperwork and details on the Sutton exhaust. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ust-on-a-Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

The subject of speed loss when installing larger tires always comes up. I went from 6.00x6 with Wheel Pants to 8.50x6 22" Desser tires. One part of my goal was not to lose too much speed since all the good mountain and canyon flying is a good 2,000 miles from the East coast.
    With the wheel pants on I usually see about 119 kts true airspeed. On several test flights (I haven't gone up to my long range cruising altitude between 8K and 12K feet yet) with the 22" tires I see about 114 kts true airspeed. So I lost about 5 kts.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody is talking about these 8.50x6 22" Desser tires, I looked on Dessers sight & don't see any house brand, I see Condor(2 types), Goodyear(I think anyway) and Michelin... I'm assuming this is mostly about the Condor's?

Doc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Everybody is talking about these 8.50x6 22" Desser tires, I looked on Dessers sight & don't see any house brand, I see Condor(2 types), Goodyear(I think anyway) and Michelin... I'm assuming this is mostly about the Condor's?

Doc
    It's these: https://www.desser.com/pc_product_de...85717E1387DCF3

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I was kind of looking at these:

https://www.desser.com/pc_product_de...B380C1CF045384

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevbot View Post
    (Also for future searchers, I have the files for the 40-59A spacer if anybody needs them, my buddy who did this first sent them to me in case the Airframes spacers didn't fit my wheels). Also, Airframes does carry the longer brake anchor bolts (torque plate guide pins) - both flanged an unflanged dependent on your caliper type.
    Future searcher here, would you happen to still have this CAD file?

i have 40-59A wheels and need a spacer and before I dive off into Fusion 360, the file would save me some time.