Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.50 dessers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8.50 dessers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    These are the pins you need, $30 each. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...Mount-Bushings
    The disc kit is $200 and includes 4 1/16" discs and the longer bolts.
    Steve, thanks a lot for checking into this. Unfortunately, the link is pointing to motor mount bushings. Or I just don't get it.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, my cut and paste must have not work right. Here is the proper link. Got this info from one of their engineers.
    https://www.airframesalaska.com/ABI-...i-69-01900.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I worked on the installation of the 8.50x6 22" Desser tires yesterday. I use 1/4" spacers from Airframe Alaska to provide enough clearance between the tires and the double puck Cleveland brake calipers. I need to install the longer anchor bolts, but two issues. The old anchor bolts will not move out. I took the nuts off and tapped on the bolts, but they don't move. Before I apply force I thought I better ask. Are they pressed in, screwed in or are mine just "frozen" after all these years?

The second issue is, the shaft of the new anchor bolts are the same diameter as the old ones, so they fit the brake calipers. However, the old anchor bolts have a larger thread vs. the new ones. Can I still use the new anchor bolts?

Any advise is appreciated. I finally want to get these tires on my Pacer.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would start soaking those pins in penetrant. Looks like to me the holes in the calipers will be to large for those pins.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, thanks for the quick reply, so I take it that my anchor bolts are "just frozen" in the calipers. I will use some penetrant and see if I can get them out. The shaft diameter of the new bolts are the same as the old ones, so they fit the anchor plates, it is just that the thread size to hold the anchor bolts in place is different. I will talk to my mechanic if I can use a washer. There is not much load on the threads to keep the anchor bolts in place. I hope it will work out.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 08-19-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would use penetrant and a socket with C clamp to press them out.

Post Thanks / Like

I did get the anchor bolt out of the caliper using Steve's advise (penetrant and a C-Clamp). However, the anchor bolts I purchased (ABI-69-01900) from Airframes Alaska will not work. I called them and talked to Chris (very nice guy and very helpful). He went out and measured their ABI 30-60A Brake anchor bolts which are the same type as they are on my Pacer, and they are 1/4" longer than what I have. 1" shaft length vs. 3/4", exactly the 1/4" I was looking for to compensate for the spacers. Bingo, a credit card transaction later and they are on their way. Hopefully this weekend I get the wheels mounted.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 08-22-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally finished the project today. By using the brake disc spacers ABI-BSK3 and Brake anchor bolts ABI-69-02600 (30-60A) from Airframes Alaska I was able to get the clearance on the brake calipers to avoid rubbing. I now have a set of 6.00X6 tires on wheels I can use with my wheel pants to fly around the East Coast and a set of wheels with the 8.50X6 Desser 22" to fly out West and to Alaska. On the first short flight I noticed about a 4 kts. loss in true airspeed, but I need to test that more in later flights. The landings felt very nice with these tires. It almost felt like landing on a pillow (maybe I was lucky the first two times).

My first mission for the new tires will be in October to attend the High Sierra Fly-in. It's about 2,000 miles each way. I'll stop in Utah on the way out for a couple of days to fly some Canyons. Can't wait!!!

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

That's a 6.00x6 leaning on the side? I kind of expected 8.5's to be , well, bigger. I have 8.00x6's for a couple planes right now, but was thinking of 8.5's, now I may need to re-think as the 8.5's don't seem as much larger as I thought they'd be.

By the way if you get to northern UT, Ogden area, let me know, there are still a few of us up this direction....

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Finally finished the project today. By using the brake disc spacers ABI-BSK3 and Brake anchor bolts ABI-69-02600 (30-60A) from Airframes Alaska I was able to get the clearance on the brake calipers to avoid rubbing. I now have a set of 6.00X6 tires on wheels I can use with my wheel pants to fly around the East Coast and a set of wheels with the 8.50X6 Desser 22" to fly out West and to Alaska. On the first short flight I noticed about a 4 kts. loss in true airspeed, but I need to test that more in later flights. The landings felt very nice with these tires. It almost felt like landing on a pillow (maybe I was lucky the first two times).

My first mission for the new tires will be in October to attend the High Sierra Fly-in. It's about 2,000 miles each way. I'll stop in Utah on the way out for a couple of days to fly some Canyons. Can't wait!!!

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

The Dessers are 22" diameter and they are very soft and smooth to prevent rocks and stones to be thrown into the prop or tail. The STC I purchased allow for up to 26" tires, but I was afraid of losing too much speed.

I am planning to fly into Richfield (RIF) in Utah and stay there for three nights. From there I am planning to fly into Cedar Mountain, Mexican Mountain, Dirty Devil and Hidden Splendor. Then I will fly into Nevada to the Dead Cow Lakebed for the High Sierra Fly-in.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z