Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-wiring covered wings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re-wiring covered wings?

I recently replaced my position lights with LEDs. They’re great, brighter than the original incandescent and will hopefully last longer (which I why I replaced the originals, blown bulb).

The only problem is now I’m getting radio noise when they’re turned on.

I read that’s a common problem with LEDs. I read the answer was to install shielded wiring. How tough is this to do on a covered wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Re-wiring covered wings?

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    I recently replaced my position lights with LEDs. They’re great, brighter than the original incandescent and will hopefully last longer (which I why I replaced the originals, blown bulb).

The only problem is now I’m getting radio noise when they’re turned on.

I read that’s a common problem with LEDs. I read the answer was to install shielded wiring. How tough is this to do on a covered wing?
    Fishing a new wire the length of your wing may be a challenge. I did it by removing the tank covers and my wing tips. I could run the wire through the leading edge. Without removable wing tips it gets harder. Hopefully, there are enough inspection holes to feed the wire.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Best $9 you will ever spend. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65326.html I had a cart full of stuff and put them back. The next week had to pull a wire through a wing and tried everything to no avail. had to send my daughter the 120 mile round trip to the nearest Harbor Freight.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a good number of inspection ports, but not all have been cut open.

No removable wingtips and no on fuel tank covers as well. They’re fabric covered.

Steve, I saw those at our local HF this weekend. Might pick one up, but I still haven’t decided yet on tackling this wiring project.

Apparently there’s some AeroLEDs and Whelen NAVAIR “bulbs” that are designed differently and don’t make noise. Something about a “constant voltage input.” They’re expensive though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you might want those more expensive LEDs. There is a good possibility that the shielded wire may not solve the noise problem. I am interested in how this works for you because I also may run a new wire through my covered wings when installing ADS-b. Keep us informed of your progress

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll definitely keep y’all posted.

Expensive means ~$125-150 per bulb for only the red and green vs the ~$50 I spent on a set of three. That’s tough to swallow but the idea of getting shielded wire stuck halfway through the wing is less appealing than a $300 bill.

I could go back to incandescent bulbs but as I’ve added more lighted instruments to the panel my power draw has gone up at night. I think I’m too close to the existing wiring’s power budget and would rather not get into that rewiring project until a panel overhaul down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Would a better insulated antenna wire help in this case?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Would a better insulated antenna wire help in this case?
    No sure, but that sounds like a good idea. Seems it would be easier than stringing the wings.

Post Thanks / Like

If it trips the squelch it’s probabley RF from the antenna. Turn the radio off and see if you still have it. My guess is it is ac being fed into the buss and effecting your intercom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If it trips the squelch it’s probabley RF from the antenna. Turn the radio off and see if you still have it. My guess is it is ac being fed into the buss and effecting your intercom.
    That's a good idea. I'll try it in the hangar this weekend.