Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nav light switch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nav light switch

Bought the MicroDim advertised as for the Short Wing Piper. Working behind the panel is quite a challenge. Had to remove the access panel and pull the altimeter to get access. Found the compass light wire cut at the compass. Today's task is to find out where the compass light power wire is now terminated. Wire disappears up towards the firewall. Can't imagine it being used to power up something as it's off the rheostat.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought the MicroDim advertised as for the Short Wing Piper. Working behind the panel is quite a challenge. Had to remove the access panel and pull the altimeter to get access. Found the compass light wire cut at the compass. Today's task is to find out where the compass light power wire is now terminated. Wire disappears up towards the firewall. Can't imagine it being used to power up something as it's off the rheostat.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know the original routing of the compass ight power wire? I've found a few interesting things. One is that the wire runs from the rheostat to knife splices and then forward towards the fire wall and the splice insulation covers the entire length of the wire as far as I can track it. Still unable to determine routing and where it was cut to deadline the compass light. Thirdly the wire at the compass is about one half the diameter of the wire off the switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious if Piper used a lit compass? I have a factory harness in a box somewhere and will have to look and see. Will let you know what I find.

Post Thanks / Like

Schematic and wiring diagram for the Colt show an ighted compass. I've reviewed several prints and it looks like the compass light is powered off the nav light rehostat. Routing seems to be directly vertical as the compass is located directly above the nav light switch. As I've noted in earlier posts, in my situation the wire off the rheostat goes forward towards the fire wall. Still trying to find where it terminates. All very strange as the routing seems factory original. Be very interested in what you find.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

What is that JUMPER?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    What is that JUMPER?

Bus

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new switch installed. Found that the old switch, which is original and appears to be wired in from the factory, had the wing position lights wired to the rheostat. Tail position light per the schematic power off the on/off feature of the factory set up. Anyone know of such an arrangement? Dimmable position lights?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,
    Your last post must have gotten lost in history but it seems to be one of the few posts that related to my search. Anyway I found the similar sort of deal with the wiring of my switch. If one circuit goes, the on/off or the rheostat the set of wires from the bad side has to be wired to the good. In my case the dimmable side had to be spliced into the on/off sw. leaving me with always on and bright dome (when dome sw is on) and dash lights. Perhaps in your case the on/off side had to go to the dimmable meaning the rheostat had to be turned to full on? Your PA-20 schematics do not show the compass wire joining with the rheostat which it should because just like the old trucks Piper had the dimmable light switch operate the back panel of the radio, dome light and in our case...compass. Even borrowed the door handle to run the trim. The PA-22 schematics show it. Its a little tiny yellow wire marked #57. My old compass had been replaced but that little wire was spliced into the nav radios somewhere in that bundle of wires you saw yours lead off into.
    Now I find myself where you were, looking for a reasonably priced switch. While I was going to all the trouble of tracking down the correct wires I needed a place to put them so I actually did hook them into an old fashoned auto switch figuring it would make an easy swap when I got a new sw. I remembered this a little late, I should have bought the new sw before installing the windscreen ..ect.. I too have to remove the altimeter. You said you bought the MicroDim advertised as for the Short Wing Piper, where and how much$$. If its too much I will learn to put up with the bright lights.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Jerry,
    Your last post must have gotten lost in history but it seems to be one of the few posts that related to my search. Anyway I found the similar sort of deal with the wiring of my switch. If one circuit goes, the on/off or the rheostat the set of wires from the bad side has to be wired to the good. In my case the dimmable side had to be spliced into the on/off sw. leaving me with always on and bright dome (when dome sw is on) and dash lights. Perhaps in your case the on/off side had to go to the dimmable meaning the rheostat had to be turned to full on? Your PA-20 schematics do not show the compass wire joining with the rheostat which it should because just like the old trucks Piper had the dimmable light switch operate the back panel of the radio, dome light and in our case...compass. Even borrowed the door handle to run the trim. The PA-22 schematics show it. Its a little tiny yellow wire marked #57. My old compass had been replaced but that little wire was spliced into the nav radios somewhere in that bundle of wires you saw yours lead off into.
    Now I find myself where you were, looking for a reasonably priced switch. While I was going to all the trouble of tracking down the correct wires I needed a place to put them so I actually did hook them into an old fashoned auto switch figuring it would make an easy swap when I got a new sw. I remembered this a little late, I should have bought the new sw before installing the windscreen ..ect.. I too have to remove the altimeter. You said you bought the MicroDim advertised as for the Short Wing Piper, where and how much$$. If its too much I will learn to put up with the bright lights.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    I'll check my files tonight. I do remember that my IA insisted on doing 337.

Jerry