Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bushmaster Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Bushmaster Project

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    You are correct.

Another option, might be asking you DAR if you could build a modified wing with a slightly changed airfoil. You would need to find or make new ribs. Also, change the fuselage by replacing most of the upper and lower longerons, change the left door opening for an added door. Change the landing gear. Make all these changes your design even if you partly copy existing designs. It may be cheaper to find a newer fuselage then use parts off the 52.

The new owner of the STC, may get approval for earlier versions of the PA 22.
    thanks everyone, I also have a 1957 fuselage and wings so could use this. Change the wings as discussed. Would be great to get STC for later models. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-redwing View Post
    would like to but mine is 1952 and thought the STC is for 1957 or newer
    Might be able to do a DER deviation to the STC to allow a pre 57 airframe to be modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I will look into this. Do much knowledge out there. Can’t thank everyone enough to for the help. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Welcome and thanks for the post. I have assumed that the Bushmaster (aka Super Pacer) STC does not qualify for experimental, now we know. I would think to meet the 51% rule you would have to scratch build at least the wings or fuselage. But, if you have a certified Tri-Pacer and want to convert it to a Super Pacer/Bushmaster, why not keep it certified? You will avoid many steps involved in qualifying for experimental.
    Ever since I laid eyes on Stephen's Bushmaster a few weeks ago I've been smitten too. Well done Stephen - it just looks right! I've got a spare fuselage as well and have been musing on the experimental angle.... What about
    swapping the yokes for sticks, using cub landing gear like Eddie Trimmer's mod, seaplane doors, Supercub tail feathers, skylight, etc., and "scratch building" the wings, etc.? Seems like more than 51% to me, not sure however about the use of a formerly certified airframe "core" in an experimental.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Ever since I laid eyes on Stephen's Bushmaster a few weeks ago I've been smitten too. Well done Stephen - it just looks right! I've got a spare fuselage as well and have been musing on the experimental angle.... What about
    swapping the yokes for sticks, using cub landing gear like Eddie Trimmer's mod, seaplane doors, Supercub tail feathers, skylight, etc., and "scratch building" the wings, etc.? Seems like more than 51% to me, not sure however about the use of a formerly certified airframe "core" in an experimental.
    Get a copy of the FAA E-AB checklist. It seems to be more about the percentage of major sections assembled/built than about percent of total airplane built/rebuilt.

From what I understand, anything to do with the fuselage section cannot be counted towards the 51% if you use a previously certified fuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Get a copy of the FAA E-AB checklist. It seems to be more about the percentage of major sections assembled/built than about percent of total airplane built/rebuilt.

From what I understand, anything to do with the fuselage section cannot be counted towards the 51% if you use a previously certified fuse.
    E-AB checklist states, not for use for certified aircraft parts on experimental. DAR/FAA discussions in MN have been clear, it is risky to use any certified frame part and get credit. I have settled on building new frame, wings, as original language states in the 51% rule. I believe things have changed a lot. Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't put much up for a while. I have been busy with a lot of things. I hope that this brings the project up to date.Here are some landing gear attach structure pictures. Landing Gear Fitting 5.jpg AFT Landing Gear 1.jpg Rear Landing Gear attach 1.jpgLeft landing gear fab 2.jpgLeft landing gear fab 1.jpgLanding gear powder coat 1.jpg Left landing gear check 1.jpg

Left landing gear check 2.jpg
    My buddy Dan is over six foot tall to put things into perspective. Left landing gear check 3.jpg

I went and did the modification for the individual seats.Individual seat install 2.jpg Individual seat install 1.jpg

I will have more later over the Thanksgiving break. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the pictures, very nice work. I hope I can get started so. If you need any parts I have two complete planes
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-21-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: removed quote to speed the page upload

Post Thanks / Like

have you decided on what wing rib you will use? Original ribs or new (riblett 66") I have plenty original if you need some,
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-21-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: removed quote to speed the page upload

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries