Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bushmaster Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New Bushmaster Project

Well it all begins now. I have always looked for the "airplane in the barn" since before I built my Skybolt. I really enjoy the Skybolt, but I have always been attracted to bush type flying. This time the barn came to me. My good friend Mike Peavey was witnessing a hanger clean out when he came across this Tripacer in need of a home and attention.
    The beginning 2.jpgThe beginning 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Bushmaster Project

Replacing missing tubing.jpgThe next thing that needed to be done is of course doing an inventory of what is there. We began stripping out all of the old wire, instruments, insulation, and accessing the damage. The damage was not only what resulted in a blow over and corrosion, but all
    of the tubes that were liberated from the fuselage.Damage 1.jpgDamage 2.jpgDamage 3.jpgDamage 7.jpgDamage 8.jpgInitial firewall.jpgStrip out 3.jpgStrip out 4.jpgStrip out 5.jpgStrip out 6.jpg
    Last edited by chicobushmaster; 02-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The stretch begins. Some initial layout and leveling of the main structure. There is so much to do, that I am not sure that it wouldn't have been better to start from scratch. Most of my aerospace career has been with special mission products and modifying aluminum structures. However, there is something therapeutic working on fuselages and other space frames. Attachment 14907Attachment 14908Attachment 14909

Attachment 14906

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So people cut tubing out of the fuselage over the years? I have done a lot of fuselage work but I think starting from scratch would be a huge undertaking. Some of those fittings etc are a real pain to fabricate. Look forward to following your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A little more progress on the tail today. Most of the tubing is tacked in place except for the top diagonal that you see missing. I am going to make a fixture to hold the pulley brackets in place while I change the diagonal tube out.Tail Progress 2-27-19.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work. The longerons are coming out nicely.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I kept the same angle from the diagonal brace and extended it to the top longeron. This way I didn't have to make tooling to hold the pulley brackets in place while I replaced the tubing and intersected the top cross tube. I then put a short tube to the other side to complete another triangle.Longeron construction 6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Beginning preparations for Seaplane Doors and AFT Landing Gear Tube 2.jpgAFT landing gear rear attach.Seaplane Door 8.jpg