Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

I’m looking at purchasing a PA-16 project that has an expired registration. FAA is giving the current owner fits over reregistering it. Seems some fool within FAA doesn’t believe the old aluminum data tag that meets drawing 85411 isn’t a real Piper data plate.

Anyone that would be willing to share pictures of the data plate installed on their PA-16 would be appreciated. I’ll use them as supporting documentation to prove the legitimacy of the data plate on this aircraft.

This is an effort to return an airplane to active life and an effort to try and counteract the foolishness of FAA Order 8100.19.

Any help is appreciated. Even if I don’t buy this one, I’ll help the current owner get the registration cleared up to the best of my ability. You can email pictures to n14ky@aol.com

Thanks
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

They don't believe Piper drawings now? I'll see what I have accessible.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, the people in the registration branch have no clue. This is the third airplane I’m going through this BS with. First was a J3 and I think the owner gave up and went Experimental Exhibition. His was exacerbated by the fact it was an obvious bogus data plate. He didn’t do his homework ahead of time! Second was a DH-60G that came from Canada. Last flew up there in the 50s. The owner had to complete the aircraft before they would register it, and then they got the manufacturer and model wrong. We are still working on fixing that a year later. Now this Clipper. Last flew in the early 60s. Has about 1200 total time. Previous owner let the registration lapse in the ‘70s and it was canceled. Now they are treating it as a “scrapped” airplane per Order 8100.19. Some inspector wants Piper to confirm it’s the right data plate, and Piper won’t respond, so they won’t issue a registration. I’m hoping to buy the project, but want to sell my Pietenpol to make room for it.

As I recall, the Clipper data plate is back in the tail, attached with a couple pieces of welding rod tacked to the frame and bent over. The asset tag should be on the cross tube under the seat I think.

Thanks
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Correct, just looked at my Clipper I was involved in the midair in 2002. The fabric is cut back there and the data plate is gone. Probably taken during the accident investigation. Log books were lost as well during that investigation.

Post Thanks / Like

These were taken with an inspection camera so they are not great:

Data Plate (1).JPGData Plate (2).JPGData Plate (3).JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Kroeker View Post
    These were taken with an inspection camera so they are not great:

Data Plate (1).JPGData Plate (2).JPGData Plate (3).JPG
    Thanks, that helps a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Correct, just looked at my Clipper I was involved in the midair in 2002. The fabric is cut back there and the data plate is gone. Probably taken during the accident investigation. Log books were lost as well during that investigation.
    Just looked up the accident report, they screwed you with that. Not only did you break your airplane, they took the data plate so it couldn’t be rebuilt! Hope you didn’t get hurt. It is pretty funny in the description, “observed the PA-16 overtaking the RV-6A”. Not many time where a PA-16 will win a race with an RV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After 5 years it finally became apparent that I did not over take him, it was the other way around. Also if you read the full report you will discover that he was on the wrong radio frequency yet the NTSB did not find that as a contributing factor. Was in the hospital a week with a crushed larynx and a perforated esophagus along with a broken tibia but I was lucky, I survived. I need to finish petitioning the NTSB to correct that report.

Post Thanks / Like

1950 Pacer is the same style and location. I'm still waiting to hear back from FAA Reg, they wanted pictures and proof the plane wasn't destroyed.

IMG_5987.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the reason was for not stamping the MFG date?