Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    No, my data plate is good. Just commenting (or confirming) that the fuselage frame plate number (tack welded to airframe) isn't the same as the airframe serial number.
    TonyN
    I suspect with the PA-15 and PA-17, they just pulled any fuselage frame from inventory and used it as it came. Did you get a build sheet from Clyde to confirm that you have the original fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like

So I got a letter from FAA today. Seems they still don’t want to believe the data plate isn’t the real data plate. The reason stated is that the date field on the plate is not filled out even though I provided pictures of other data plates without that field filled in. Again, I’m asking for anyone with a Vagabond, Clipper, Pacer, Super Cruiser or whatever from 1947 to 1950 vintage to forward pictures of the data plate installation, and a close up of the data plate indicating what fields are filled out. I’m only looking for original data plate pictures. Most of these data plates are installed on the diagonal tube in the tail, visible through the left trim access panel. Most are attached with welding wire tacked to the tubing.

Please forward pictures to me at n14ky@aol.com

Thanks
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Had something similar with our engine that had been installed in our airplane for decades but a space was blank. Lots of FAA monkey motion ensued. Ended up buying a new data plate from Lycoming. However then we had even more stupid FAA monkey motion when they insisted that we "properly destroy" the original data plate that had been replaced. Problem was that the FAA couldn't find a defined procedure on how to "properly destroy" a data plate. Simply cutting it up wouldn't do. Fortunately the Lycoming people took mercy on us and told the FAA lacky that if we sent them the offending data plate that they could "properly destroy" it using their own procedure. We mailed it to them and I'm sure they simply dropped it into the trash can as they rolled their eyes in amusement.

No help with your issue though other than to say "good luck"

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

FAA is creating much of this problem with their policies. In my case they are asking me to prove a negative! Kind of like politics today where everything is based on “feelings” and not facts. FAA “feels” my data plate is incorrect, and wants Piper Aircraft Inc to confirm that it’s real. Piper Aircraft Inc is saying that due to the proliferation of eBay data plates, they can’t confirm it. So now I’m in a catch 22 where FAA has given an impossible task. My FSDO has inspected it and agree with me. I’m at the point where I will demand a letter of denial on the registration, and a letter of investigation against me for violation of 14 CFR 3.5 for allegedly making fraudulent statements about my aircraft. The investigation would likely determine that the aircraft actually is as stated by me and confirm the data plate. Once that’s done, then the registry would have to accept that the data plate is correct. We’ll see!

Post Thanks / Like

Make them earn their pay. Go getum.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, it's no reason for this kind of problem. Getum!

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Data Plate Pictures

Long conversation with aircraft registry today, but still no progress. One thing they let slip is that if you are trying to register an airplane, they have buzz words that if they hear, they will classify your aircraft “scrapped or destroyed”, won’t register it and you can join me in my fight!

If you let them know the aircraft is a “project”, is “under restoration”, or about to be “restored” or any similar term, BOOM you have a scrapped or destroyed airplane and a long fight on your hands.

So far this has only been happening I’d two conditions are met, first, you are a new owner, and second, the previous owner let the registration expire or otherwise was surrendered, suspended or revoked. In my case it was revoked because back in 1970, the owner never returned the triennial registration form to FAA. Mine was compounded by some schmuck in FAA that didn’t believe the data plate that’s been installed for 70 years is the original without ever actually looking at it. The level of incompetence at FAA is astounding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The level of incompetence at FAA is astounding!

Unfortunately many of us are aware of this. It a cancer that is spread across all of the FAA including the FSDO, safety, ops, lawyers, medical and probably others that I have not yet had the misfortune to interact with.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, you want a real joy, read this where FAA layers redefine the physical properties of aluminum to be fireproof!

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...rpretation.pdf

Last edited by dgapilot; 07-31-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it help your cause if you got hold of the original build information from Cub Doctor?
    I did this for my Vagabond and it shows serial number, date of build, fuselage frame and wing frame serial numbers.
    Tony N