Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tragic Collision at Compton Airport

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tragic Collision at Compton Airport

If either one of them had adsb in than they would have seen the other plane on the visual screen and prevented this, scan it like an instrument, keep eyes outsise and scan the tablet, thats what saved a Stearman pilot I talked two once, he had his tablet mounted in the panel, or if the guy taking the video had a handheld radio he could have yelled go tf around if the guy was listening to the ctaf.. thats the hardest part of watching the video hearing him say go around to the pilot but the pilot doesnt hear him.

The single biggest factor here though is using the wrong runway so you dont "offend" some non pilot that moved in next to an airport.
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-16-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really doubt that the posted preference for runway 25 has anything to do with noise or the neighbors. It's out in the sticks so nobody to offend. Not sure but maybe it's related to instrument approaches for the jet traffic.
    The problem with exercising PIC authority and landing on 7 is that then you might be going against traffic that can't see you since THEY are landing into the sun.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday flying I had a plane at my 6 o'clock. Fortunately, I could watch the plane on a adsb and see him climbing above me. Adsb in is cheap insurance.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I really doubt that the posted preference for runway 25 has anything to do with noise or the neighbors. It's out in the sticks so nobody to offend. Not sure but maybe it's related to instrument approaches for the jet traffic.
    The problem with exercising PIC authority and landing on 7 is that then you might be going against traffic that can't see you since THEY are landing into the sun.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Indy is 20nm away so any traffic for the 23s will be at least 4000 feet msl 3100 agl over Mt Comfort, so that doesn't make sense either. If you meant local traffic in the pattern, that could be an issue when someone isn't using a radio, which is common, but at least you could see them and avoid them, and they should be eyes outside looking for you and other planes when you are downwind looking into the sun. At least that puts you in better odds than the fatal accident here. If we all had adsb in and out it would not be an issue, everybody sees everybody.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-16-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Yesterday flying I had a plane at my 6 o'clock. Fortunately, I could watch the plane on a adsb and see him climbing above me. Adsb in is cheap insurance.
    I am sold on that also now.

If only the casualty plane in this accident had adsb-in, and the t28 only a transponder, would the 152 saw the t28 on their adsb-in display? If so would it also show t28 altitude, alerting them they were about to collide?

Google it, adsb could have helped prevent this only if one of the planes had adsb-out and the other one had adsb-in. If the 152 only had adsb-in, and the t28 only had a transponder, depending on how low the t28 could be picked up on radar by long beach or lax, not sure who or how the tis-b works but it should transmit to adsb-in aircraft as long as radar is picking it up, so they might have seen the t28 while in the pattern even if he only had a transponder. If the t28 had asdb-in and the 152 had out he would have seen the 152 even on the ground, which would have prevented the accident. If the 152 had -in and the t28 had -out, than the 152 would have seen the t28 barreling down on them. I see why this is being pushed hard by the FAA now, I keep remembering the metroliner getting landed on at lax, this is a lot like what happened there and adsb could have stopped both from happening. Does anyone know what indications warnings either pilot would have got if both planes only had the required adsb-out?

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...-it-works-adsb

Last edited by SMO22; 03-16-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a sad outcome, I feel for the family of the deceased.

Hopefully going forward, everyone who reads this thread and sees the video, will make a takeoff or landing in calm conditions with the sun at your back if possible. Let's not have this happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like I need to add my opinion.

First let me say that none of us have all the facts so let's both agree to say a silent pray for all involved and be more/most vigilant in all stages of our flying.

Ok, I firmly believe no one should be looking at their ADSB screen anywhere near an aircraft pattern. Eyes outside boys and girls where they belong. Nuf said.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post

Ok, I firmly believe no one should be looking at their ADSB screen anywhere near an aircraft pattern. Eyes outside boys and girls where they belong. Nuf said.

Rocket
    I whole heartily agree and if you cannot visually see the traffic area go someplace where you can.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a misunderstanding here on the intended message. What adsb gives us is a tool to use to identify a potential threat. Upon entering the airport traffic area 5 miles from the field, we scan the adsb display for any traffic, just as we scan the flight instruments, again emphasize the word scan, a quick 1 second look at the display, in between the scan of airspeed and altimeter, we quickly glance at the adsb display.

This would have given either pilot here in this accident a chance to avoid what happened, both aircraft would have seen each other on the adsb display 5 miles from the airport, after seeing each other on the adsb they could get there eyes outside after that one second scan and look for all traffic not just what is displayed on adsb. As they get closer to the pattern they scan again Airspeed Adsb Altitude THAN OUTSIDE for 15 seconds, than back inside for one second to the adsb screen.

Each pilot in this accident would have seen the conflict from 5 miles, than 4 miles, than 3 miles and probably thought, hey there is a plane out here getting closer to us, maybe we should take a course of action to avoid a conflict. I think the outcome would have been three people alive and with their families tonight, instead of 1 dead person and one badly injured flight instructor.
    Last edited by SMO22; 03-16-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ADS-B is an extra tool available to use but only a fool will use it as an excuse to not use their eyes and brains. That 152 could have just as easily been one of thousands of aircraft flying without electrical systems and will therefore never be ADS-B equipped. Most people I know who have aircraft with electrical systems have no intention of equipping because it isn’t required anywhere near the areas they fly.

For all we know at this time, both aircraft could have been equipped.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 03-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.