Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No yoke landing

Post Thanks / Like

Default No yoke landing

So my instructor did something a little interesting today in my Tri Pacer. He was trying to show me how well Piper designed these planes, how they will fly themselves, and to quit making so many control inputs. He asked for the controls and never touched the yoke. Flew with rudder, trim, flaps and power...all the way down to land! Reached down and pulled the breaks on. Anyone else ever heard of that? I was a little impressed, better than most of my landings!
    -Ken

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by krwill; 03-22-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No yoke landing

You have a very well in-trim airplane!
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frank Sparandeo did that when he was trying to rig his airplane in flight and disconnected the Aileron's and the cable disappeared under the floorboard.

Post Thanks / Like

more than a little impressed ! Bravo Bill T...

Post Thanks / Like

I had an instructor demonstrate it in a Skyhawk about 10 years ago but he did give the yoke a tug just before touchdown to keep from pranging the nose wheel on the up-slope part of the runway.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing a youtube video of someone doing this in a 170 but can't find it now...couple videos of folks doing this in 172's on youtube as well.
    I had an instructor tell me that the doors on a 150 could be used for yaw control...never tried it though.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a standard part of the Emergency Maneuver Training (EMT) course developed by Rich Stowell. In that scenario, it is used to demonstrate ways to deal with a control system failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't try this on my home field with it's gusty and changing winds. Unless, I was Frank Spranadeo.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    I remember seeing a youtube video of someone doing this in a 170 but can't find it now...couple videos of folks doing this in 172's on youtube as well.
    I had an instructor tell me that the doors on a 150 could be used for yaw control...never tried it though.
    Instructor and I flew the pattern with the door on the 152 once. Kind of wide turns and all, but doable, only used the yoke for the elevator.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the same just to get a feel for it because I could tell it was stable and controllable enough with no yoke. Especially with the interconnect. I may have chickened out at the end and touched the yoke for safety reasons, however.