Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

And, next question: does the Stewart wingtip STC use the Piper splice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I’m confused. If you install the Sullivan wingtip and use the Sullivan STC are you not required to use the Sullivan splice? Can you substitute the Piper approved splice even if the Sullivan STC does not call out the Piper splice method?
    The Sullivan wing extension is made by straightening the cap strips and sliding a plate in. This aluminum plate is bolted in place. It extends the spar by adding web. You do not cut the spar. You would only use a Piper splice if someone had cut off the cap strips.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

And, next question: does the Stewart wingtip STC use the Piper splice?
    I have not done this STC. I have talked to the Steward brothers about it and I do not recall anything about using a Piper splice. I remember that they do remove the cap strips. Somehow they attach their wing tip frame work to the spar. Hopefully, someone who has done this has pictures. If their STC calls for bolts, that is what you would use. If is calls for a Piper spar splice (which I don't think it does) you would use rivets.

Post Thanks / Like

It calls out a piece of .090" 2024T3 aluminum plate riveted to the web with AN470AD-4 rivets. When I get rolling on this project I'll start a thread and post pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stephen for the explanation of the spar splices. I surmise that the only use for the Piper splice then, is to repair a damaged wing. Just curious why the STC’s for these wingtip mods would not exploit that approved method originally done by Piper? I have a related question also: are there any STC’s for modification of the flaps and ailerons to lengthen them and extend them outward, that anyone knows of for the PA22 Tri-Pacer? Seems like all of those flap/aileron modifications are for PA18’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stephen for the explanation of the spar splices. I surmise that the only use for the Piper splice then, is to repair a damaged wing. Just curious why the STC’s for these wingtip mods would not exploit that approved method originally done by Piper? I have a related question also: are there any STC’s for modification of the flaps and ailerons to lengthen them and extend them outward, that anyone knows of for the PA22 Tri-Pacer? Seems like all of those flap/aileron modifications are for PA18’s.
    No, there are no STC's for moving the ailerons or lengenthing the flaps short of the Bushmaster (Superpacer) STC. I worked unsuccessfully for years on an STC, Eddie Trimmer has also been working for years on an STC but, there is nothing now. It would be expensive to do the load tests and engineering required.

As far as including a Piper splice into these wing tip mods. That would increase the amount of work needed for the Sullivan STC, I don't know about the Stewart STC. Oddly, when I purchase my plane 40 years ago it had the Demmer STC installed which cuts off the cap strips. This makes a short wing...not great. It also had the old Ferguson STC (similar to the Sullivan) which extends the wing by straightening out the cap strips and adding the plate. I decided to lengthen my wings per the Ferguson STC and the only way I could do it was with the Piper splice. I ended up with a lot more wing area and better performance.
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-27-2019 at 06:19 PM.