Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Do they call out riveting the plates or can you bolt them? I saw a couple of extension that were bolted but I am not sure what STC they are. Now that I have the engine swap completed and the bird is back in the air its time for me to get serious about getting this STC and getting it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one set of my spars when the rebuilder was finished splicing them. He bought the Stewart "kit" with all the parts included. Dan told me he stopped producing kits because the PMA process was getting too onerous.

Jim

imgJMH033.jpg
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they call out riveting the plates. You cut off the spar caps that are pinched together to hold the wingtip bow; and butt splice the extension pieces on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by JPerkins; 11-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

And so it begins...

I'll be starting g a new thread on the installation of these tips. I just happen to be recovering the wings at the same time. 20191125_190930.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    And so it begins...

I'll be starting g a new thread on the installation of these tips. I just happen to be recovering the wings at the same time. 20191125_190930.jpeg

That is great! I just picked up a spare set of wings to do this myself. I'll be following.

Ken

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In real terms I see no reason that a WHOLE BUNCH of bolts, though at that size it's likely to be screws, couldn't be used, other than the potential for them to loosen. With that said though, Pipers approved method of splicing a spar IS rivets, I suspect, though it's not readily to hand that is also the called out method in AC43.13. I've really never had the need to go looking for it as Pipers enumerated method of repairing/splicing a spar has always been good enough for me(& the FAA) on my projects...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You just need a big rivet gun and heavy bucking bar. The rivet will swell in the hole and fill it completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally you cannot replace rivets with a like number of bolts. The original load carrying design will be compromised.
    AC 43-13 gives some guidance on this.

Post Thanks / Like

The Piper approved splice calls for rivets. I've done this splice on two occasions and it is not difficult. I did it without removing the wing. The Sullivan Wing tip extension STC calls for bolts but, it is totally different. It is a slide in plate between the cap strips. The Piper approved splice would be the acceptable method of splicing a Piper spar.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The Piper approved splice calls for rivets. I've done this splice on two occasions and it is not difficult. I did it without removing the wing. The Sullivan Wing tip extension STC calls for bolts but, it is totally different. It is a slide in plate between the cap strips. The Piper approved splice would be the acceptable method of splicing a Piper spar.
    I’m confused. If you install the Sullivan wingtip and use the Sullivan STC are you not required to use the Sullivan splice? Can you substitute the Piper approved splice even if the Sullivan STC does not call out the Piper splice method?